Running a heavier oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhornsby3

Reaction score
Do you live in a warm climate, if you do, SAE 30 or SAE 40 would be best in an aircooled engine especially for hot temps
I live in the Pacific Northwest. Central Oregon close to the coastal range. I use the recommended oils for the boats, and the pick ups. The lawn equipment gets the oils from the boats because the boats might get 20 to 60 hours a year of run time. So the oil is still good and clean. As for the weather, I only use the lawn equipment during the growing season, from the end of March (on a good year) until mid October. I've been running this way for over 30 years with no issues.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I live in the Pacific Northwest. Central Oregon close to the coastal range. I use the recommended oils for the boats, and the pick ups. The lawn equipment gets the oils from the boats because the boats might get 20 to 60 hours a year of run time. So the oil is still good and clean. As for the weather, I only use the lawn equipment during the growing season, from the end of March (on a good year) until mid October. I've been running this way for over 30 years with no issues.
then youre good, its also a creative way to use the oil lol

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
im in zone 7 of wisconsin, aparently is subartic here! Lol. Zone 6 is literally nearby tho so im sure thats more or less "where do you draw the line" kind of thing

7 is warmer not colder. I don't see any zone 7 in Wisconsin.

Here's a video on oil I found interesting.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
7 is warmer not colder. I don't see any zone 7 in Wisconsin.

Here's a video on oil I found interesting.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
You must be registered for see images attach

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At no charge, my local gov't farm service office & county extension service provides me with soil type maps of my fields & forests; there are discernable differences across just a few feet. Amazing how modern ag equipment tech can use that info (& GIS, GPS, bio-pictometry etc) to help apply soil amendments with great specificity; wasting little.