Oil Filters with good anti-drainback valves?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm unable to envision how VSS could affect a tap/tapping.

However, if the VSS is a metal-clad type, And ALL its polymer is essentially stripped away... And If what remains of VSS is little more than a thin-wall steel shell... then I can imagine that "shell" bouncing around might make a tapping sound. I've seen lotsa metal-clad VSS; some of those were worn-out. But I've never seen one stripped of all rubber etc.
I'll second that and add that if the metal shell were to come loose from the valve guide it would make noise all the time,not just at start up. This is a common problem on shovelheads where monkey's beat them down over the guide crooked and they come loose pretty quickly.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The only experience I've had with them is my sis-in-law has a n 05 Yukon Denali with a 6.0 Runs like a r@ped ape but the fuel economy sucks especially if you hook anything up to it. My brother has a 04 Avalanche with a 5.3 that won't pull itself out of a wet paper bag,my worn out 305 will run circles around it. Both trucks are in a good state of tune just useless as teets on a boar hog.
Same experience with our '06 Yukon XL Denali, 6.0.
It'll pass everything but a gas station....and the tank is smaller by 11 gallons, than my '99 Burb. But it runs so good (when it's behaving) that you want to get into the throttle, just to feel it slap you back into the seat. I think we usually got around 10mpg in town, better on the road.
Friend of mine has a '19 Suburban with a 5.3; it's peppy empty but I can feel it lagging when he's towing his trailer.
We're going out of town this weekend, so I'll see what Rawhide does mileage wise when we're just cruising. The only road trip we've done unloaded with it before, we got 13/14. With a load in the bed and a loaded trailer, we got 11 last year going to Austin for a show.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Many if not most of the 5.7 Vortec motors experience some "piston slap" on start-up.
Not in my experience; quite the contrary. In those motors (rpo L31), I've found startup valve clatter the culprit; although it's often mistakenly ID'd as "piston slap."

Those motors have a great reputation for having very little piston/cylinder wall wear. Their hi-silicone but low-expansion (hypereutectic) pistons are fitted very tightly (often < 0.001") via advantage of modern tooling that produces more accurate-straight cylinder honing. Their narrow, low-tension metric rings (w/ steel top ring) also produce little wear to cylinder. Accurate air-fuel mix by a good EFI system restricts any gas-washing of cylinder walls.

Hyper piston skirts cannot survive long if they're running so loose they routinely produce audible slap. They're brittle and will crack-break. Those motors have no significant reputation for that type failure.

* in the end, the valve clatter on startup is primarily due to oil filter having drained back to pan; no coincidence that's core premise of this thread.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
in the end, the valve clatter on startup is primarily due to oil filter having drained back to pan; no coincidence that's core premise of this thread.
I'm through a WiX xp and a Mobil one...and still get random tap at startup....
Wish I knew what was going on. Never did this until I changed my intake gaskets, switched to 5W30 synthetic from 10W30 conventional for the past 10 years , or adjusted my valve preload...and , I was running stp regular or extended life with silicon anti drain back oil filters forever...apparently both stp have anti drain back...
But, after the switch to 5w30 synthetic is when it all started if I had to guess....

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm through a WiX xp and a Mobil one...and still get random tap at startup....
Wish I knew what was going on. Never did this until I changed my intake gaskets, switched to 5W30 synthetic from 10W30 conventional for the past 10 years , or adjusted my valve preload...and , I was running stp regular or extended life with silicon anti drain back oil filters forever...apparently both stp have anti drain back...
But, after the switch to 5w30 synthetic is when it all started if I had to guess....
Have you tried going back to 10W-30 ? If so, what were results ?
How many miles on lifters ? Have they ever suffered abuse ?
Have you disassembled each one individually and cleaned them with solvent ?

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you tried going back to 10W-30
Yes but not conventional. No difference
How many miles on lifters ? Have they ever suffered abuse ?
Many...Over 100k if guessing...Idk about abuse
Have you disassembled each one individually and cleaned them with solvent ?
Yes... I had a thread discussing it. They all looked good ... I cleaned them well. They all pumped up tight...cam lobes seemed ok afaik....even cleaned my oil filter adapter recently...

The only thing that seems to help is more preload. If I had to guess, my lifters were well over a turn past zero lash. After getting into all of this, I've never been back to that far. Right now I'm around 3/4 turn. But I get worse idle and the performance doesn't seem as good with more preload so I'm not really wanting to go more. Just not sure what lifters or cam I have....
I did recently notice a slight wobble in my torsional damper... Maybe that's why I'm getting a missy feeling with more preload...idk...
I'll figure it out..definitely going to change damper next....
The tapping at start is very short but sometimes I'll get a 20 second deal...don't want to derail this too much...

Last edited: