Weird metal on magnetic drain plug..what do you think it is??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
found this while changing oil. Last year i found a smaller peice but definitely the same stuff. It is magnetic and was stuck on drain plug.
It on my 03 tahoe 5.3
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it ferrous? Isn't the tip of the drain plug magnetic? Or was it was just floating in the oil?

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could it be a chunk of metal gasket material dropped in the valley/oil pan during the scraping process? I know I've lost some bits down there despite my best efforts. Timing cover ever been off?

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could it be a chunk of metal gasket material dropped in the valley/oil pan during the scraping process? I know I've lost some bits down there despite my best efforts. Timing cover ever been off?
Its way too thick and not soft. And its ferrous and curved. So off something circular like a piston skirt . I dont know what these pistons are made of

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Its way too thick and not soft. And its ferrous and curved. So off something circular like a piston skirt . I dont know what these pistons are made of
Pistons are usually made from aluminum which is not magnetic. Sounds like maybe your LS is fixing to wet the bed....how's the oil pressure?