Weird metal on magnetic drain plug..what do you think it is??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heres some more pictures
You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I ask because I have a 6.0 in an 06 Yukon that's had oil pressure issues on startup for several years. Was told it was the sensor or the oil pump O rings, but never got into it. Quit driving it because the trans temp sensor is bad,so it keeps throwing it into limp mode. If I knew then what I know now about LS motors we wouldn't have bought that truck. It was good till it got about 160 thou on it and then **** started to break. I'll keep my 350, it just keeps on going.......

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ask because I have a 6.0 in an 06 Yukon that's had oil pressure issues on startup for several years. Was told it was the sensor or the oil pump O rings, but never got into it. Quit driving it because the trans temp sensor is bad,so it keeps throwing it into limp mode. If I knew then what I know now about LS motors we wouldn't have bought that truck. It was good till it got about 160 thou on it and then **** started to break. I'll keep my 350, it just keeps on going.......
I definitely agree. Ive never had any of these problems on a old 350.
This tahoe has about 10k in work done from 16-18 before we bought it. Stuff they fixed has failed several times. This is the 3 oil pressure sensor. They all show signs of leaking at junkyard where is old 350 ones dont. The design of the motor is stupid too. But we wont get into that.
I sold my z71 recently for money too good to say no . Im all diesel now

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The second and fourth photos have what appears to be a pretty clearly defined machined "lip" visible. My guess (fear) would be some bearing failing, although I've never seen one fail in that manner. Hopefully I'm wrong.

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your drain plug looks to have a magnetic tip.
As ferrous metal contacts a magnet, it will become magnetized over time.

Could be bearing material sluffed off when the oil sensor died possibly losing pressure causing the bearings to rub the mains or rods.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the fragment hard or soft steel? Does it resist a file or succumb to it? Might give a clue to what it was a part of originally.

Don't forget that there are other possibilities other than something built into the engines mechanicals. The PCV system administers air and anything else that can find its way in there - eg, a disintegrating PCV valve.