Temporary in-line fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TravisR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I may be going to pick up a 93 C1500 this weekend. Owner says the fuel pump is out. Does anyone have any experience with throwing a cheap in-line fuel pump on a TBI truck? Something quick so I can just verify the truck runs and drives. I was thinking even running out of a gas can for a minute to avoid messing with the stock fuel lines.

All the pumps I see on autozone's website that might work are targeted at carburetors (PSI < 8). I'd need something in the 9 to 12 PSI range, right?

Pic of the truck for "eye candy" :)

You must be registered for see images attach

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I may be going to pick up a 93 C1500 this weekend. Owner says the fuel pump is out. Does anyone have any experience with throwing a cheap in-line fuel pump on a TBI truck? Something quick so I can just verify the truck runs and drives. I was thinking even running out of a gas can for a minute to avoid messing with the stock fuel lines.

All the pumps I see on autozone's website that might work are targeted at carburetors (PSI < 8). I'd need something in the 9 to 12 PSI range, right?

Pic of the truck for "eye candy" :)

You must be registered for see images attach
If I recall correctly (somebody please correct me if I'm incorrect) you can open the throttle body and pour a little fuel in there to test the running ability.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TravisR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah, good thinking. I may try that to get at least some idea that it can run -- unless someone can tell me why that's a horrible idea.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mean it'll be running pretty ****** considering you're not likely to be able to get it to run perfectly between lean and rich, but if he's cranking and you can keep a steady stream of fuel in there, it should run for 30+ seconds. Plenty to find out if it's just a fuel problem or if there's other things to consider. Just a note from my experience, you may have fuel keeping it from running, that doesn't mean it'll run well even after you replace the fuel pump. Make sure you're getting a deal, the fuel pump could be masking other issues as well.

TravisR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, that's exactly what I want to find out -- if there are other problems. It's easy to say "whoops fuel pump went out" when the engine is seized, or a rod knock is present, or a head gasket is blown and they just would rather me buy it without starting it. That reminds me to bring a fuse and check the fuse for the pump relay.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, that's exactly what I want to find out -- if there are other problems. It's easy to say "whoops fuel pump went out" when the engine is seized, or a rod knock is present, or a head gasket is blown and they just would rather me buy it without starting it. That reminds me to bring a fuse and check the fuse for the pump relay.
I'd stay away from diagnosing the full problem. If it's just a fuse you lost all your bargaining power. If it'll run with you pouring fuel in the throttle body, you can low ball him/ her on the idea you'll have to replace the pump, the savings from that will likely go into all the other problems that have accumulated from the truck sitting for God-knows-how-long. Get yourself a fair deal for taking on the risk of purchasing a vehicle that doesn't run.

Reaction score
But yeah in a pinch you can run an electric in-line pump short term up by the drivers side tire where the rubber line starts. Or if the tank and lines are questionable, run a hose barb adapter on the tbi and put a line from a jerry can through the in line pump into the tbi. I've used it to get a truck home in a pinch. You can try something like dorman pn 800-153

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put your gas in an empty household spray bottle (Windex, 409, armor-all, etc ) ....
.... it puts the liquid into a mist (fan pattern, not stream).
- Spray directly into throttle body (air cleaner removed).

This works much better than simply pouring fuel down there. Remember, all a carburetor/injector does is basically atomize the liquid into a mist for easier ignition.
This method is much better for quick start ups on lawn mowers, boats, weed eaters, chain saws, etc.