Temporary fuel supply - 350 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I hear ya man but if the lines in the sender or the piece of rubber fuel line inside the tank are no good what's going to pump out?
True and I understand your point. At this point, I'm not sure how much old fuel is even in the tank. I'll likely drain the tank when I plumb some temp lines up and dump a few gallons of fresh in the tank.
Sometimes just need to get things running for a bit.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach
This is along the lines of what I first thought of. Not sure I want to buy a pump if its not needed though.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards just scabbing in rubber line from filter to TBI and back to tank to see if it'll run, current pump does work. Sold my boat in college and the tanks with it....

While installing the rubber line, I would take the opportunity to pump all the old fuel out of the tank by (1) sticking the end of the rubber hose in a suitable container and (2) powering-up the fuel pump via its test connector near the fuse block (at least, that's where it's located on my '98). I would pump until it starts sucking air, stop, and backfill the tank with 5gal of fresh fuel.

I would probably replace the fuel filter thereafter, and cut open the filter I just removed to see if there's a load of $h!t in it.

Do as you wish :waytogo: I see you've something similar in mind (your earlier post).

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Take the stock pump out and drop in to a 5 gallon canister with a hose. I keep inline pump in emergency kit so it is always available for random tasks.
This sounds promising aside from dropping the tank

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Take the stock pump out and drop in to a 5 gallon canister with a hose
On this line of thought, would using a pump rated for the 7.4l (Delphi fe0112) be an issue either for temp use or as a replacement? Rated at a higher volume and pressure (36 gph & 40 max psi). Stock is FE0115 rated average volume of 28 gph and 29 psi max.

I recognize that the system pressures are different for the 1995 BBC vs 1994 SBC. Thinking this may be a reasonable pump to use and have on hand for a spare (for my suburban) if the pickup is sent down the road to the salvage yard in the sky.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't the 454 pump be sufficient? The regulator would just return all the excess fuel - no different than when people say to run a vortec pump for a TBI truck. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

The other solution is to sell the whole thing to me because I want a plow truck and this one looks like a great project.:imo:

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Wouldn't the 454 pump be sufficient? The regulator would just return all the excess fuel - no different than when people say to run a vortec pump for a TBI truck. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

The other solution is to sell the whole thing to me because I want a plow truck and this one looks like a great project.:imo:
I'm not opposed to selling the truck, plow though, I don't think I could do that.... of course money does talk.

I've never gotten into upgrading parts which is why I kicked the 454 pump idea out here first.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see why it wouldn't work to throw the 454 pump into a container and use it to move the thing around. Unless there is something I'm not thinking of.

There is a '91 K3500 with a plow that is for sale local to me, I'm keeping my eye on that. It is a Silverado and I would strip all the power locks/windows and donate them to my '94.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On this line of thought, would using a pump rated for the 7.4l (Delphi fe0112) be an issue either for temp use or as a replacement? Rated at a higher volume and pressure (36 gph & 40 max psi). Stock is FE0115 rated average volume of 28 gph and 29 psi max.

A regulator has certain design limitations. The regulator may not be able to properly "regulate" when subjected to the purported "higher volume" pump; if so, the result would be higher pressure.

Try that pump if you like, but consider confirming the fuel pressure with a gauge to make sure it's where it needs to be. If the pressure's proper, great, and if not then you'll know the reason.

I think the odds are in favor of it working, but I would check it.

Last edited: