Temporary in-line fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Put your gas in an empty household spray bottle (Windex, 409, armor-all, etc ) ....
.... it puts the liquid into a mist (fan pattern, not stream).
- Spray directly into throttle body (air cleaner removed).

This works much better than simply pouring fuel down there. Remember, all a carburetor/injector does is basically atomize the liquid into a mist for easier ignition.
This method is much better for quick start ups on lawn mowers, boats, weed eaters, chain saws, etc.

The gas doesn't eat up the seals in the sprayer... or the opposite, make it swell?

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The gas doesn't eat up the seals in the sprayer... or the opposite, make it swell?

I'm sure it would, if left in there a little while. I do not leave it in there.
Usually, one time use.
Luckily, I don't need to do it often.
Mostly for inboard boat motor start-up at the start of the season. .. .. .. '79 AristoCraft Nineteen. Mercruiser 470 3.7L inline 4.

I prefer to use fuel rather than starting fluid in the event I have to have repeated squirts to keep it running when trying to clear the carb passages by choking/covering the top of the carb while running.

I've actually burnt up a weedeater piston using too much starting fluid. Lol....

I'm always saving her febreeze or Windex bottles ... she doesn't get me at times. Lol.
You must be registered for see images attach

TravisR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, to finish up the thread, I bought the truck for $1,000.

The owner said the battery was dead so I hooked mine up. I tried to start it without doing anything. I didn't hear the fuel pump prime (it may have been too loud outside to hear it). It did start and run roughly for about 2 seconds. I tried dripping a bit of gas in the throttle body and it wouldn't "start" and burn it. I tried this three times before my battery died.

I decided I'd just go ahead and buy it because I liked the truck otherwise. The body is good -- has three small dents counting the inside of the bed. Solid cab corners and panels everywhere. Interior is okay except for a cracked dash and no headliner. We'll see what all is wrong with it once I tear into it :).

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, to finish up the thread, I bought the truck for $1,000.

The owner said the battery was dead so I hooked mine up. I tried to start it without doing anything. I didn't hear the fuel pump prime (it may have been too loud outside to hear it). It did start and run roughly for about 2 seconds. I tried dripping a bit of gas in the throttle body and it wouldn't "start" and burn it. I tried this three times before my battery died.

I decided I'd just go ahead and buy it because I liked the truck otherwise. The body is good -- has three small dents counting the inside of the bed. Solid cab corners and panels everywhere. Interior is okay except for a cracked dash and no headliner. We'll see what all is wrong with it once I tear into it :).

Might've flooded it if you poured before it was cranking, but if it made a couple of revolutions that's a good sign, at least it isn't seized. Have fun diagnosing lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk