Talk some sense into me please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a neighbor who was a retired Ford engineer and he said he got bonuses to make vehicles harder to work on so they would take them back to the dealer for service or just buy a new one.
I freaking knew it. I used to work as a mechanic at a holding lot for a used car dealership that sold a lot of ford expeditions and F-150s and EVERY time I had to work on one I would think “this had to be designed as inconveniently as possible on purpose. No vehicle could be this poorly engineered on accident”. Everything about those vehicles was a pain in the ass to work on. Those and the Chevy Traverses I hate with a passion.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't you need the special custom metric wrenches for the fan to remove it 1st? I remember our '90 did.

Being around 18 years ago I'm not sure; I do recall vaguely something weird about the fan? My shop buddy at the time was (and still is, strangely) an absolute Ford fanatic and has a bunch of Ford-specific tools. Some weird Y-shaped fan wrench thing? Maybe I'm confusing specialty tools on that one.

Did you know Ford released a completely new gas 7.3L pushrod SOHC V8 last year?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...9/ford-super-duty-73-v8-engine-details-specs/

Yep. We have a couple of 'em at work; F450SD's with the gas 7.3. "Godzilla" .. it's OK so far. They're definitely peppier than the 6.8 V10's we were running in the older trucks. The behavior of the 10 speed auto takes some getting used to.

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't you need the special custom metric wrenches for the fan to remove it 1st? I remember our '90 did.
Yeah, because our Vortecs totally don't need a special wrench for the fan.

I'm brand agnostic. I have a Ford, a Chevy, and a Chrysler in the driveway. My next car will be a Mazda and I have two British cars in the shop. They all suck in their own unique way. We're willing to overlook what we're used to dealing with on our trucks while dealing with anything else is frustrating. Yup, I totally forgot about the Romeo vs Windsor thing after helping my son get his CVPI back on the road, but I was impressed how well that motor was designed (except for only having three spark plug threads). There's plenty of stupid on our trucks, I could rant for a full hour just on the door construction. 6.2 vs Powerstroke? Two completely different design goals, and both look like turds compared to the Cummins.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I'm brand agnostic. I have a Ford, a Chevy, and a Chrysler in the driveway. My next car will be a Mazda and I have two British cars in the shop. They all suck in their own unique way. We're willing to overlook what we're used to dealing with on our trucks while dealing with anything else is frustrating. Yup, I totally forgot about the Romeo vs Windsor thing after helping my son get his CVPI back on the road, but I was impressed how well that motor was designed (except for only having three spark plug threads). There's plenty of stupid on our trucks, I could rant for a full hour just on the door construction. 6.2 vs Powerstroke? Two completely different design goals, and both look like turds compared to the Cummins.
Yeah it's funny when I hear my in-laws hating on Chevys usually the reason they hate them is the exact same reasons I love Chevy. [emoji16]

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score

Funny you mention the vortec fan wrench. My current Burb uses a 36mm for that huge nut, and I swear the other one used a 35mm. And then you have the pump holder tool, so you can break the fan nut loose or tighten it up. But both are handy to have around if something needs smacking.
After getting used to this design, though, I prefer it to the old style with the 4 studs to take out and line up.