Talk some sense into me please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Eric

Reaction score
My boss loves the 6.2 but he's not as big of a fan of the 7.3 idi. He swears the 6.2 with a 700r4 will get 30 miles a gallon in a suburban.
I don't know about your boss 6.2, but my 96 6.5 suburban doesn't and has never got crazy mileage. Infact most of the time it's not much better than my 97 and 98 5.7 truck or burb.

The extra torque is nice pulling a trailer, the rest of the time is just for the different factor.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know about your boss 6.2, but my 96 6.5 suburban doesn't and has never got crazy mileage. Infact most of the time it's not much better than my 97 and 98 5.7 truck or burb.

The extra torque is nice pulling a trailer, the rest of the time is just for the different factor.
Yeah he hates the 6.5 he says they don't get good mileage.

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That was taken directly from a write up on the engine where some journalists had interviewed some Ford experts. Could be the writers were Ford engineering alums.
Isn't one of the qualifications of a journalist that they failed grammar and punctuation in middle school? [emoji1787]

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Being around 18 years ago I'm not sure; I do recall vaguely something weird about the fan? My shop buddy at the time was (and still is, strangely) an absolute Ford fanatic and has a bunch of Ford-specific tools. Some weird Y-shaped fan wrench thing? Maybe I'm confusing specialty tools on that one.

Yep. We have a couple of 'em at work; F450SD's with the gas 7.3. "Godzilla" .. it's OK so far. They're definitely peppier than the 6.8 V10's we were running in the older trucks. The behavior of the 10 speed auto takes some getting used to.

Richard

i jut use a air hammer with a brass tip I made to loosen the fan nut on my 7.3. My uncle was a Ford tech for 40 years and that’s what they use.

as for the 7.3 gasser I drove one as I was looking to buy a new tow vehicle. It’s got plenty of power. I just don’t need a new tru k right this minute. If Chevy comes back out with their 8.1 it’s gonna be a toss up as to which I will buy. Right now it’s the 7.3. If I get one I’m waiting till they come out with a SC kit

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
i jut use a air hammer with a brass tip I made to loosen the fan nut on my 7.3. My uncle was a Ford tech for 40 years and that’s what they use.

as for the 7.3 gasser I drove one as I was looking to buy a new tow vehicle. It’s got plenty of power. I just don’t need a new tru k right this minute. If Chevy comes back out with their 8.1 it’s gonna be a toss up as to which I will buy. Right now it’s the 7.3. If I get one I’m waiting till they come out with a SC kit
Get ready to burn your wallet -> https://www.ford-trucks.com/how-tos...rger-pushes-7-3-v8-past-700-horsepower-609362

Cliff notes: 430hp/475tq to 700hp/750tq :D (at only 8psi!!) still a Ford tho..

Richard

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get ready to burn your wallet -> https://www.ford-trucks.com/how-tos...rger-pushes-7-3-v8-past-700-horsepower-609362

Cliff notes: 430hp/475tq to 700hp/750tq :D (at only 8psi!!) still a Ford tho..

Richard

even if the kit is 6000 bucks ts still cheaper than the diesel option. Most people who buy diesels don’t keep them long enough to warrant the additional cost of the diesel option. And they sure as hell don’t tow to the max it’s rated for. People overestimate their trailer weight. Diesels are a lot more expensive than they used to be as far as purchase, maintenance and repair these days.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
even if the kit is 6000 bucks ts still cheaper than the diesel option. Most people who buy diesels don’t keep them long enough to warrant the additional cost of the diesel option. And they sure as hell don’t tow to the max it’s rated for. People overestimate their trailer weight. Diesels are a lot more expensive than they used to be as far as purchase, maintenance and repair these days.
Yeah and most fleet analysts agree that they have more down time for repairs.