Talk some sense into me please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Being around 18 years ago I'm not sure; I do recall vaguely something weird about the fan? My shop buddy at the time was (and still is, strangely) an absolute Ford fanatic and has a bunch of Ford-specific tools. Some weird Y-shaped fan wrench thing? Maybe I'm confusing specialty tools on that one.

Yep. We have a couple of 'em at work; F450SD's with the gas 7.3. "Godzilla" .. it's OK so far. They're definitely peppier than the 6.8 V10's we were running in the older trucks. The behavior of the 10 speed auto takes some getting used to.

Richard
First thing I noticed when we got our first one, they sound damn good compared to most of Ford's gas trucks. Guess they wanted it to live up to the "Godzilla" moniker.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
More ford horror stories here. Waaayyyy back in the '60s right after the Mustang came out I worked in an Auto parts store. We did some ford business before then, just steady. After the horse came out we had a lot of ford customers (yeah, right away and they were'nt even a year old yet). We quickly found out that most of the new parts for the new Mustang didn't fit, there were too many options. So we had to tell them to bring in their old water pump, or alternator or carb, or starter, etc., because whenever we looked it up in our books (no computers in those days), it was usually the wrong part. Hated it when I saw a ford pull up in the parking lot.

Can't bring myself to spell ford with a capital F. Ironically my very first car was a 1951 customized ford convertible, but it had a 324 Olds engine in it with a 4 speed hydromatic. Paid $75 for it, was beautiful.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Funny you mention the vortec fan wrench. My current Burb uses a 36mm for that huge nut, and I swear the other one used a 35mm. And then you have the pump holder tool, so you can break the fan nut loose or tighten it up. But both are handy to have around if something needs smacking.
After getting used to this design, though, I prefer it to the old style with the 4 studs to take out and line up.

I got this Lisle tool and just welded a long round bar stock I had laying around. I cut off the pins on the other side for the Hemi engine (only have GMs and a one Pentastar). I use a big cresent wrench for the fan nut. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-43580-Spanner-Holding-Wrench/dp/B007EGCDSA

I'm thought I used it on my 4.3, but maybe that's not right? I don't remember now, LOL. I always saw my mechanic just wack the fan nut with something and it comes off so easy. Every time I tried to imitate him back in my house, it never, ever worked! LOL. So the tool is a must for me.

But if we are done bashing Ford, I can go off and jump on the bandwaggon that these door hinge designs on the GMT400 suck. That's my biggest complain on them, after the spider injector design and plastic distributers. What else?

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First thing I noticed when we got our first one, they sound damn good compared to most of Ford's gas trucks. Guess they wanted it to live up to the "Godzilla" moniker.
I haven't seen one yet but nobody buys gassers around here. Everybody seems they think they need the towing capacity of a diesel to commute to work. [emoji1787]

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got this Lisle tool and just welded a long round bar stock I had laying around. I cut off the pins on the other side for the Hemi engine (only have GMs and a one Pentastar). I use a big cresent wrench for the fan nut. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-43580-Spanner-Holding-Wrench/dp/B007EGCDSA

I'm thought I used it on my 4.3, but maybe that's not right? I don't remember now, LOL. I always saw my mechanic just wack the fan nut with something and it comes off so easy. Every time I tried to imitate him back in my house, it never, ever worked! LOL. So the tool is a must for me.

But if we are done bashing Ford, I can go off and jump on the bandwaggon that these door hinge designs on the GMT400 suck. That's my biggest complain on them, after the spider injector design and plastic distributers. What else?
Yeah to be quite honest the vortec is not one of my favorite engines. I like the first generation 5.3 even though they don't have great throttle response and the 350 beat them for get up and go I just love the design and the fact that they have a rail with normal injectors.
But what I love about Chevy is if you don't like something about it you can find a different year and swap those parts over. They're just like Legos. I really love the throttle body injection system even though they were gutless but I like the internals of the vortec blocks so someday I want a truck with a vortec motor and an aftermarket throttle body injection system.
The thing about Chevys is when I'm working on them I rarely come across things that make me curse the engineer but I pretty frequently come lacrosse things that make me smile like the way my '02 Tahoe grill comes out with a couple of quarter turn clips and a flat blade screwdriver. There's just a lot of good design on them.
One of the biggest things though for me is the suspension. I am young but my back has been giving me problems most of my life so a smooth ride is a wonderful thing. My F350 is so dang rough that I have had parts in the toolbox completely lose their labels due to bouncing, they just got rubbed off inside the box.

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Yeah, because our Vortecs totally don't need a special wrench for the fan.

I'm brand agnostic. I have a Ford, a Chevy, and a Chrysler in the driveway. My next car will be a Mazda and I have two British cars in the shop. They all suck in their own unique way. We're willing to overlook what we're used to dealing with on our trucks while dealing with anything else is frustrating. Yup, I totally forgot about the Romeo vs Windsor thing after helping my son get his CVPI back on the road, but I was impressed how well that motor was designed (except for only having three spark plug threads). There's plenty of stupid on our trucks, I could rant for a full hour just on the door construction. 6.2 vs Powerstroke? Two completely different design goals, and both look like turds compared to the Cummins.
1999 toyota tacoma sr5 4x4 solves it all lmao

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, because our Vortecs totally don't need a special wrench for the fan.

I'm brand agnostic. I have a Ford, a Chevy, and a Chrysler in the driveway. My next car will be a Mazda and I have two British cars in the shop. They all suck in their own unique way. We're willing to overlook what we're used to dealing with on our trucks while dealing with anything else is frustrating. Yup, I totally forgot about the Romeo vs Windsor thing after helping my son get his CVPI back on the road, but I was impressed how well that motor was designed (except for only having three spark plug threads). There's plenty of stupid on our trucks, I could rant for a full hour just on the door construction. 6.2 vs Powerstroke? Two completely different design goals, and both look like turds compared to the Cummins.
Wait, there is a wrench for the fan ! Lol I haven't used a wrench for over 15 years,quick tap on edge with air chisel nd spin em off by hand.