Side Molding and Trim After Painting or Not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was able to post a larger pic, guess i need to take some better pics now. It really wasn't all that hard or expensive to freshen the truck up, regular maintenance helps.A good usable truck that still looks decent is not too much to expect. Of course having access to a great site with a lot of information is a plus. Thanks www.gm400.com

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got a quote for body work on left B pillar, tailgate, and left door. All little dings - $442. Complete sanding (Surface Recon) since the single stage paint is so bad - $800 (plus $110.50 Body Materials), then Sealer, Primer, Base Coat/Clear Coat paint. No cut and buff, they wanted another $850 for that, yikes!:eek: I looked at a couple cars they just did and I saw no orange peel or runs, it looks like they have a good painter. He said it'll have 4 heavy clear coats so, I can cut and buff it if I want to down the road. Total $2,838.32. They'll remove the body molding too. I don't know if I wanna try to remove the bed caps or let them mask it. He said the caps may break or get ruined and I just put them on :banghead:
Here's the color I picked, it's close to OE but a lot more sparkly, ha ha. It's the one in the middle with picture taken out in the sun.
You must be registered for see images attach

I'll pull the bumpers, wheel well trim, and mirrors. Once it's done, I'll install new bumpers and look at it for a few weeks. If I decide to do the body molding and wheel well trim after that I'll get new ones.

I have an appointment for July 12. He said it'll take around 2 weeks to
:grd:

Any comments, observations, condemnations, etc?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just got a quote for body work on left B pillar, tailgate, and left door. All little dings - $442. Complete sanding (Surface Recon) since the single stage paint is so bad - $800 (plus $110.50 Body Materials), then Sealer, Primer, Base Coat/Clear Coat paint. No cut and buff, they wanted another $850 for that, yikes!:eek: I looked at a couple cars they just did and I saw no orange peel or runs, it looks like they have a good painter. He said it'll have 4 heavy clear coats so, I can cut and buff it if I want to down the road. Total $2,838.32. They'll remove the body molding too. I don't know if I wanna try to remove the bed caps or let them mask it. He said the caps may break or get ruined and I just put them on :banghead:
Here's the color I picked, it's close to OE but a lot more sparkly, ha ha. It's the one in the middle with picture taken out in the sun.

I'll pull the bumpers, wheel well trim, and mirrors. Once it's done, I'll install new bumpers and look at it for a few weeks. If I decide to do the body molding and wheel well trim after that I'll get new ones.

I like the middle color also. 4 coats of clear figuring you remove one during wet sand and buffing still leaves plenty. You know what brand of pain t they're putting on?

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Sounds like a very fair price to me.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the middle color also.
I forgot I had this pic with more colors. I mentioned the 48934 looked a little light and he said it'll look even lighter on the truck with so much surface area. The one on the bottom was just too dark for me.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna order front and rear bumpers. The rear bumper isn't bad, just the rubber covers are worn. I went back through this thread and found @sewlow post #40. Thanks for that, bud. I googled "rear bumper step pad for 1988 C1500" and found them for ~$110 by Evan-Fischer on Amazon, minus the center pad but, that one's in good shape so, I'm gonna go that route.
so I bought the rear step pad & trim from GM. Yea. GM! For cheap! IIRC, the top pad was around $50.00. The small one in the center...$30.00 & the two side impact strip pieces were about $15.00/ea.
Were they very hard to remove and replace? I see there are pins molded into them but, are they glued too?