Side Molding and Trim After Painting or Not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the "B" pillar emblems since my OE ones looked faded and I figured they may get ruined when removed for paint. The ones I found were ~$20/pair instead of ~$70/each for OE ones. Well, IDK which I like better. Maybe try to clean up the OE ones IF they survive :confused:
Opinions?

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure those old emblems are actually OE? I've never seen a set with the rounded corners like that on these trucks from the factory. Not saying it didn't happen, but all the ones I've seen have been the rectangular ones like the new set you got.
IDK, you may be right. The truck was repainted by MAACO back in ~2000 before I bought it. I'm just assuming they would mask everything not remove and reapply.

Does anyone have a picture of their truck with the rounded ones?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After searching, along with others, for @1ton-o-fun thread VIN Decoder, I went off on a tangent to see if I can find what color my truck originally was. He couldn't find my VIN - maybe too old? Anyway I can't seem to have any luck. FWIU the code starts with WA then 4 letters/numbers but, I have WA- L8860??? Maybe someone smarter than me can figure it out? FYI, it's an 88 C1500 Silverado if that matters :biggrin:

You must be registered for see images attach

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm a little Leary about black or smoke. I wonder if anyone has pictures of them with a blue body?

Yeah, I thought you had Anzo lights but wasn't sure. They are somewhat proud of them, huh? :(
I have run black tails with LEDs on 400's and 800's, never had an issue. Of course nobody has an issue until they do, but as long as they can be seen and the brake lights/signals are noticeably brighter than tail lights, I don't see why it would be a problem. As far as black on blue, that's personal taste. I think the red would look better with the style of truck you're going for, but that's just me.
I have a digital flasher from amazon (like $8) and it works great.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have run black tails with LEDs on 400's and 800's, never had an issue. Of course nobody has an issue until they do, but as long as they can be seen and the brake lights/signals are noticeably brighter than tail lights, I don't see why it would be a problem. As far as black on blue, that's personal taste. I think the red would look better with the style of truck you're going for, but that's just me.
Sorry, I may have misled by saying I'm leery of black tail lights. I was thinking about black on blue, not being too dim. I ordered the red ones I posted above because I'm too cheap to buy the Anzo. They both look almost identical. :33: