Side Molding and Trim After Painting or Not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know i was thinking why couldn't we do the door pins like the later models that have the pins separate instead of one long pin for upper and lower hinges? It makes it way easier to replace the bushings and pins. That reminds me I need to layout the side of the truck so I get the trim on straight.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Yeah, I did the passenger side door handle with a Dorman one - what a POS! It didn't fit right and it's already coming loose :mad:
I agree, I put a Dorman driver's side handle on my 97 when I still had it, 4 weeks later I put a different handle in it from 1A Auto. Never sat flush and the bezel is plastic. It sucks that they charge so much for a POS, it's no better than those chinese $7 handles on Amazon! Needless to say, I will be spending the $50 for a Genuine GM door handle when my 96 gets repainted, hopefully it will be worth the extra $.

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am using the blue tape method like you did, PlayingWthTBI. I had replaced the passenger door handle with one from LMC when I had it painted and it was nice quality, so I got the left one from them. Just waiting on the molding to get here now. Then I can see how these new oversize door hinge bushings work when I replace the glass and install new outside window rubber.