Side Molding and Trim After Painting or Not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking that step to get my truck painted. To do it right I need to remove the side molding, wheel well trim, front and rear bumpers, the tonneau cover and bed rails caps I just installed, yada yada yada. Since the bumpers are worn and/or bent and the side molding and front bumper plastic chrome strips are sun burnt and peeling off should I just get a new bumper without trim and leave all the other stuff off? How would it look without any shiny stuff there? I'm thinking of getting a metallic blue base coat clear coat so it'll be shiny too.

You must be registered for see images attach

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Personally I like the oem look with the chrome and side impact strips. Only reason I took mine off was for fender flares. Otherwise I like that classic look. I plan on putting new moldings around the burb since my current ones are faded and peeling.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking that step to get my truck painted. To do it right I need to remove the side molding, wheel well trim, front and rear bumpers, the tonneau cover and bed rails caps I just installed, yada yada yada. Since the bumpers are worn and/or bent and the side molding and front bumper plastic chrome strips are sun burnt and peeling off should I just get a new bumper without trim and leave all the other stuff off? How would it look without any shiny stuff there? I'm thinking of getting a metallic blue base coat clear coat so it'll be shiny too.

You must be registered for see images attach
[Nice looking truck, but I'm partial to blue!

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I would change the color but replace the trim so it looks like the factory made it that way.

I made up coloring (colouring for you people in Canukinstein) pages, made 413 copies, and wore out markers until I found the one I liked best.

I like mods that look like they were born that way but it's your truck so do what feels right to you, and above all enjoy doing it!:gay:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Either way, be consistent. If you don't replace the trim, get smooth bumpers.

Agreed.

I'm team side molding though. It flows well with the rest of the truck, and ties in pretty seamlessly with the chrome wheel arch trim. Plus it's functional, and will save you from parking lot dings and dents if others aren't paying attention.

Whenever I finally fix all the rust on my Suburban and paint it, it's getting all new side moldings.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Side note, there are two different types of the gold bowtie "1500" door emblems like what's on your truck. One has little pegs that are designed to push through the molding and help hold them in place (part number 15551231), and the other is completely flat and designed to stick straight to a painted surface (part number 15551230). Both are still available new from GM.

It's hard to tell from your pic, but it looks like you have the gold "Silverado" badges on the cab pillars as well? Unfortunately those are discontinued, but there are a few people making them aftermarket in different colors.

https://www.amazon.com/PartsTo-Emblem-Pillar-Silverado-Suburban/dp/B07257Q5Z1

I got some red ones for my truck, haven't installed them yet though.