Side Molding and Trim After Painting or Not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm gonna order front and rear bumpers. The rear bumper isn't bad, just the rubber covers are worn. I went back through this thread and found @sewlow post #40. Thanks for that, bud. I googled "rear bumper step pad for 1988 C1500" and found them for ~$110 by Evan-Fischer on Amazon, minus the center pad but, that one's in good shape so, I'm gonna go that route.

Were they very hard to remove and replace? I see there are pins molded into them but, are they glued too?
No glue. One pin will be the centering pin that goes in a round hole. Almost everything else will be elongated holes. Some of it just clips in, maybe needing gentle persuasion from a rubber mallet taking care not to mark the face. I usually masking tape the face of whatever mallet I'm using. There will also be a few speed nuts on a couple of pins usually near the ends. Pretty straight forward actually. Put all the moldings on the facebars before they go on the truck.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If not dented/dinged up the old ones polish up nice
Mine have a bunch of door dings I tried pounding out but they still just don't look good. I figured for ~$100 IF I go back with body moldings I'd get new ones too, what the hell! :33:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had got mine through Rock-Auto and thy fit really well for aftermarket moldings. Not sure if they still carry them.
Thanks, I found them on Rock Auto. I can't believe they are so much cheaper (~$32 compared to $79)! Oh well, if they don't look good, for $32 I can always go somewhere else. :waytogo:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How about tail lights?
I remember seeing a bazillion threads/posts about tail lights and hyper-flash and LEDs and DOT and all that other stuff. I saw these but, I'm open to suggestions - should they be red or black. Which would go better with my metallic blue paint job? Any insight is greatly appreciated :biggrin:

www.ebay.com/itm/273562215017?hash=item3fb1942269%3Ag%3Aii4AAOSwbmJgQGvK&fits=Year%3A1988%7CModel%3AC1500%7CMake%3AChevrolet

I think the red semi-factory style lens like those would look great. I run a similar set on both of my '97s, but they aren't LED and take standard bulbs. Anzo 211140.

www.amazon.com/USA-211140-Cadillac-Chevrolet-Assembly/dp/B0038BBHNM

I stuck an LED in my corner markers up front and upgraded to 3457 bulbs in the tail lights, which resulted in much brighter tails and my stock resistance based flasher still working as intended.

Anzo also makes an LED set similar to what you linked, part number 311004. $75 more than the ones you linked though, and as is the case with a lot of this Chinese aftermarket stuff there's a good chance they may come out of the same factory.

www.amazon.com/USA-311004-Chevrolet-Clear-Assembly/dp/B0015PTTZ6