Side Molding and Trim After Painting or Not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn! I hoped you had more input - maybe your favorite metallic blue?;)

Being a painter/bodyguy all of my life I've learned not to pick colors for people. If I pick the color put it on and you don't like it, then what? lol

I almost always go with the original color, or very close to it unless you dismantle the vehicle and paint everything that is body color. Maybe something with a little more or bigger flake or more pearls in it. Imho, the spray bomb black under hood, firewall and inner fender detail job to cover another color I just don't care for.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you've never installed molding before, lay some blue masking tape down to mark the top edge of where you're putting the molding. Have a friend look down the side of the truck as you apply and tell you if you need to peel it back and lay it higher or lower. Take your time and get it arrow straight. Measure and mark your front edge with a vertical piece of tape, and work backwards from there. When you lay the molding in place, keep your head at a consistent height and put the molding right under the edge of the tape, no higher, no lower, no excuses. Have your friend watch and advise as you lay it down.

When the Nissan Xterras came out, side molding was a customer option, and I was the go-to guy in the shop for getting them arrow-straight. I didn't enjoy it, but I made money doing it.

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well changed my avatar pic and you can see How it looks. I found an angled bracket I used to mount the front plate because i kept hitting the plastic license plate holder on curbs when I pull in. I think I will just put the side molding on since that statement about it being the only protection we have against parking lot dents is the truth. I do think I'll just do the straight black, cause the chrome on top looks like crap when it starts to peel. Mine is done in factory Red Garnet by Maaco, not bad if you pay a bit more for the body work. I R&Red the bumpers and mirrors, etc, and saved a bunch. Got Euro mirrors and painted to match years ago, they take getting used to, but work ok even for towing. Wheel arc molding at LMC for about $49.00 headlights, blinkers and clearance lights at RockAuto cheap, plus the grill at LMC for $100 and some change. Bought this 93 24 years ago and it has been a great truck.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well changed my avatar pic and you can see How it looks.
Looks good from what I can tell, can you post a full picture of it here?

I do think I'll just do the straight black, cause the chrome on top looks like crap when it starts to peel.
Yeah, mine's peeled too but, it's a 33 year old truck after all :Big Laugh:. I wonder if the LMC molding will outlast the roll stuff on Amazon? Anyone have experience with the 2?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's another conundrum - should I paint the lower panels (below the trim strip) a tan color to match my seats, or should I dye them blue, or should I just leave them the way they are?
You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
My trims in rough shape but the ole girls set up for to long. I'm in the process of bringing her back to life.

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good from what I can tell, can you post a full picture of it here?

Yeah, mine's peeled too but, it's a 33 year old truck after all :Big Laugh:. I wonder if the LMC molding will outlast the roll stuff on Amazon? Anyone have experience with the 2?

I am trying to get a few larger pics on here, most are on my iphone and it;s a pain to transfer them to my PC so I can post. Didn't want to have to go to a hosted site as a lot of forums require. I did the interior too and found each company has a different idea of what grey is, but it's close. I ended up painting my rear panel after fixing a small crack with some ABS glue. I'm not sure who has the better molding, I know $225.00 is a bit much for the tailgate panel, I'll just keep mine. I had it dropped in 97,( because I was so darn busy couldn't do it myself), with Bell 2" drop spindles and 4" hanger kit, would like to go lower, but don't think my wheels will clear and i don't want to change wheels. The way it is I can tow and haul just about anything up to a yard of wet sand since I installed a set of Gabrial Highjackers on the rear.
I know that LMC had the plain black for about $79 a roll and the precut was $129, but they say if you cut it yourself you should use the pen they sell, I haven't done it, so I don't know.