Rawhide and The Burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, it's an transmission service is expensive. My mechanic buddy used to do the fluid change on my 4L60e a long time ago. It looked intimidating to me back then, but at the time I only oil changes, spark plugs and an occasional PS pump change.

The last time I took it the local Pennzoil service station I think it was $180 or so and they made me sign a "high-mile" transmission waiver, LOL. I was around 220k or so then, 5-6 years ago. I'm sure it's over $200 by now. Also, our newer-then 2013 Chrysler minivan was like $120 for an engine oil change! They said something about high capacity oil filter, synthetic, yada-yada. That was the first and only time I took it in.

Since I added a few other trucks with 4L80s, I now buy 5 gallon pails of Dex VI from O'Reilly's and learned to do it myself. For engine oil changes I buy those SuperTech synthetic 12 qt boxes and oil filters in bulk. The little 3.6L Pentastar surprisingly uses the same amount of oil as my GM trucks. 6.0 qts.

On the suburban, try to start it with gas pedal fully pressed. Maybe it's just flooded from sitting? Pressing the gas pedal fully cuts fuel to the injectors. Sometimes that works to clear fuel and allow spark to ignite.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yeah, it's an transmission service is expensive. My mechanic buddy used to do the fluid change on my 4L60e a long time ago. It looked intimidating to me back then, but at the time I only oil changes, spark plugs and an occasional PS pump change.

The last time I took it the local Pennzoil service station I think it was $180 or so and they made me sign a "high-mile" transmission waiver, LOL. I was around 220k or so then, 5-6 years ago. I'm sure it's over $200 by now. Also, our newer-then 2013 Chrysler minivan was like $120 for an engine oil change! They said something about high capacity oil filter, synthetic, yada-yada. That was the first and only time I took it in.

Since I added a few other trucks with 4L80s, I now buy 5 gallon pails of Dex VI from O'Reilly's and learned to do it myself. For engine oil changes I buy those SuperTech synthetic 12 qt boxes and oil filters in bulk. The little 3.6L Pentastar surprisingly uses the same amount of oil as my GM trucks. 6.0 qts.

On the suburban, try to start it with gas pedal fully pressed. Maybe it's just flooded from sitting?
Could be, I will give that a try. I think the pump and FPR are probably tired after 215K, but I'm not doing FPR when that's part of the injectors assembly. It'll need all that done in the near future, may have to let my guy in Conroe work on that.
I remember my '96 Dodge Intrepid 3.5 V6 used 6 quarts, like my trucks with auxiliary engine oil coolers. That and regular oil change and Mopar filter, is probably why it lasted for 200K. That was a great car except for the poor quality of the front subframe and suspension bushings. Those kept rotting and wearing out, and that's what ended up getting it scrapped.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Well...the garage is saying that their transmission guy is quoting $7500 for the rebuild and replace. That sounds high to me, and I'm not entirely convinced the transmission is the problem. I think the hydro boost unit is going bad, because I can't see the transmission making the hissing sound in the dashboard. Now that could be causing a problem with the transmission....
Also, I know the front brakes are dragging a little, maybe that isn't helping.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well...the garage is saying that their transmission guy is quoting $7500 for the rebuild and replace. That sounds high to me, and I'm not entirely convinced the transmission is the problem. I think the hydro boost unit is going bad, because I can't see the transmission making the hissing sound in the dashboard. Now that could be causing a problem with the transmission....
Also, I know the front brakes are dragging a little, maybe that isn't helping.
Sounds like they trying to rob you. 4L80 rnr doesn't cost no where near that and it's not going to hiss from the dash

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's highway robbery!

A transmission master overhaul kit is around $500-ish for that unit. I bought one last year to rebuild mine: has all new frictions, steels, ALL rubber seals and gaskets, shift and PWM solenoids, pillow switch, (depending on year, molded pistons), pan gasket and filter. https://transmissionbench.com/4L80Eparts.html Remanufactured torque converter is around $300. Here, there is a torque converter shop that rebuilds them for $100. Even if you have to replace something internally expensive like the forward drum, that's around $200, maybe a sprag or misc. part, add another $200. Add fluid and filter and that's grand total of around $1,500 for parts only. Labor can't be $6k! Otherwise, I'm in the wrong business!

I think you can get a brand-new 4L80/85e from GM for around $3800-ish or so.

Agree with @Dropped88, no transmission is going to have a hissing on the dash. Even if it IS the transmission, I think they trying to gouge you! Run!

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I think the HB unit is bad(bad reman) and they're afraid they'll be on the hook for what that F'd up. Or they're trying to get the truck by nefarious means, because someone thinks they can flip it.