'99 c2500 Burb fun

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockR67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm working on the next set of to-do things as the weather gets more stable. I got the old window visors off the truck (passenger side still had them partially attached with 3m double-side adhesive, driver side had tape residue). That was a pain, lots of goo gone and lots of patience.

I bought some in-channel ones to try instead, I hate taping stuff to paint.

Now I'm looking into some suspension upgrades with an eye on the shocks. When the old girl hits a bad transition in the road (like a "bump" from interstate onto a bridge) it heaves and punishes the riders pretty bad. Any recommendations for shocks if one wants to tow too? Still Billstein? Other experiences to think about?

I know air-lifts are probably helpful to stabilize and support a bit, figured I'd start with the shocks since I already hate what's on there.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ya shoulda come and asked.. a 3M Stripe-Off wheel would have made short work of that tape and residue! Mind you a good one (3M brand, not a knockoff) is about $40, but they last a long time. I removed all the really hardened side molding tape and tailgate banner tape from an extended cab with one 3M wheel, and have used what was left for smaller jobs like emblem removals, and still have a tiny useful bit of it left, all these years later.

Bilsteins are probably the smart move on the shocks, though on Rock I only see fronts offered for your application, not sure why. The upper level KYB's might be good. There may be other choices too - I'll leave that for others to recommend as all my shock purchases tend to be for lowered vehicles.

Richard

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bilsteins are probably the smart move on the shocks, though on Rock I only see fronts offered for your application, not sure why. The upper level KYB's might be good. There may be other choices too - I'll leave that for others to recommend as all my shock purchases tend to be for lowered vehicles.

Richard

Yep, the Bilstein (B6 4600) 24-024198 are for K2500 rears. The C2500 rears is 24-024235. Not sure what the difference is though.

Found out yesterday that the brake hoses on K3500 differ between Chevy and GMC... no idea why on that one either.

rockR67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found out yesterday that the brake hoses on K3500 differ between Chevy and GMC... no idea why on that one either.
Wow, I'm actually really surprised about that. I feel like I've been around GM stuff quite a bit and nothing should surprise me, but ... this is new.

rockR67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, looks like the rear billsteins 24-024235 are out of stock for the most part. Anyone in love with anything else? I think I’ve run Monroe gas magnums before on the old R20 and they were “okay” but I do really like the billsteins I put on the Roadmaster.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Well, looks like the rear billsteins 24-024235 are out of stock for the most part. Anyone in love with anything else? I think I’ve run Monroe gas magnums before on the old R20 and they were “okay” but I do really like the billsteins I put on the Roadmaster.
I put a set of KYB Monomax on an E-150 van my grandparents had. And they rode quite well on that big old thing. I consider those my secondary choice. Avoid the KYB GR-2/Excel-G shocks. Those were far worse than my factory original Bilstein shocks.

Edit: spelling

Last edited: