Rawhide and The Burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A transmission rebuild, is a transmission rebuild. It's all about the same amount of work, to rebuild it, give or take. Yes, part prices will very, but $7500, is insane!!!!!. I had mine done last February. I drove the truck there, with no OD, and no reverse. I had a performance rebuild done, with a HD master rebuild kit, Corvette survos, a shift kit, and a brand new torque converter. I didn't touch a thing, and the price was $2700. Then a month and a half later, when I blew it up again, they redid the whole thing, and it didn't cost me a dime. 24 month, 24,000 mile warranty. Yes, that's for a 2 WD, 4L60E, and although your may be a 4x4 4L80E, there shouldn't be that much difference in price.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just wanted to echo what everyone else has already said, $7500 for a stock 4L80E rebuild is wild. You can get one brand new from Hughes Performance that's warrantied for use with up to 1500HP for $4400.

Sorry you have to deal with a bad shop, that's always frustrating.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Hissing sound in the dash could describe what mine sounds like and the hydrbooster still seems to work fine. When I replaced the lines it got better but it's quite noticeable again....my plan is to leave it be unless it stops working fine. I'm not sure what actually causes the noise.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Well...the garage is saying that their transmission guy is quoting $7500 for the rebuild and replace. That sounds high to me, and I'm not entirely convinced the transmission is the problem. I think the hydro boost unit is going bad, because I can't see the transmission making the hissing sound in the dashboard. Now that could be causing a problem with the transmission....
Also, I know the front brakes are dragging a little, maybe that isn't helping.
$7500 my arse. I paid $3000 for a "performance tow" rebuild on my old K3500. Granted, that was in I think 2014, but there is absolutely no way in hell that it's $7500. Shouldn't be more than $3500 for removal, rebuild, reinstall.

Last edited:

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I had a 99 k1500 4L60e replaced with a jasper while in grad school (2012?) for about $3500. Included them towing it in, swapping, and picking me up from my apartment when it was ready to go.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since we're all sharing stories...

The 4L80E swap in my red truck came out to just over $4K. Granted that was using a $500 junkyard transmission, but I had a lot of nice parts in that project and did zero labor myself. I think the -6AN hose and fittings for my cooling lines were almost as expensive as the transmission. I just skimmed back through my thread on that swap out of curiosity, my parts total was just shy of $1900. So I paid a little over $2K in labor to swap from a 60E to an 80E, and that was including my mechanic researching and sourcing a used driveshaft that would work.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WCJr's running a $250 LKQ 4L60 that I installed in a couple hours (2wd ftw). I rebuilt the original 4L60 for under $1000 with about 8 hours of labor, and that's because it's been 25 years since I've been deep inside a transmission. Somebody's trying to get a Hawaiian vacation on your dime.