Piston ring install issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hope they do it for you, this is something not all machine shops will mess with from my experience.

They will. If not, I know another one that will.

Failing that, there's a good youtube vid on how to DIY the damn things.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No man. Out the top. I didn't think I had to mention that. It's just substantially easier to pull a cylinder head in the yard than it is to drop the diff and oil pan.
hahahah i read that all wrong.... i see what you meant now.
My first thought was that was going to be a fun job! Thought process stopped then.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK! The new rings came in and they fit like a glove.

I'm still, however, short one piston. This is because IDIOT me tried making my own wrist pin removal tool out of wood. Let me tell you all how well that worked.... it didn't. I ended up cracking both junkyard pistons. Nothing gained, nothing lost, really. Just time and lessons learned.

HOWEVER... I went to Advance Auto for something totally unrelated, and the one counterman there knows his stuff. I asked him if he knew where to get 1 SBC piston. At that point, I heard a voice behind me ask "which 350?" I explained the details and the person recommended Napa of all places. Didn't someone suggest that earlier in this same thread?

Well, I went to Napa after work today and sure as sh17, the counterman had it nailed down to two part numbers.... but no written difference between deep or shallow oil groove. He said bring the old one in and we'll match it up.

Good thing I haven't thrown anything out yet.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still, however, short one piston. This is because IDIOT me tried making my own wrist pin removal tool out of wood. Let me tell you all how well that worked.... it didn't. I ended up cracking both junkyard pistons. Nothing gained, nothing lost, really. Just time and lessons learned.

We all already knew that would happen. No offense intended. Everyone has to learn somehow.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Everywhere I look.. and I mean EVERYWHERE - I find either that 1 piston with the DEEP oil groove, or a full set of something that doesn't specify deep or shalllow.

I'm very close to just ordering these, because I'm getting tired of this nonsense, but then I'd be right back where I started... needing deep rings. GRRRRRRRR.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score