Piston ring install issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FOUND THE PROBLEM. I got the new ring compressor with the reverse bevel (which, I might add, is so small that I had to REALLY look for it). I put all the rings on piston number 3 and tried sliding the piston all the way through the compressor before even putting it on the block. It jammed solid halfway through the compressor. The oil control ring is the problem

Everyone see the teeth in the back of the oil control ring here (circled in red):

You must be registered for see images attach

The rails that go above and below the oil control ring, in the 3rd groove on the piston, won't fully compress because of these teeth.

Seen here:

You must be registered for see images attach

Not sure what to do now. This is a "shallow" oil groove piston, meaning the oil groove measures at .166" as opposed to a "deep" oil groove, which measures at .200. The rails that go in that groove would fit perfect if the oil control ring didn't have those teeth there. I took JUST that oil control ring out and the piston slid in the cylinder like butter.

According to year/make/model/part number, these are the CORRECT piston rings.

Soooo...... what now.....
can't always go by year make model , you got to measure what you got which you swore you did, I suspected this the first time I posted

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK...... my gawd I'm embarrassed. I have the wrong rings. These are shallow groove pistons alright... but somehow I EFFED up and ordered deep groove rings.

I didn't realized this until I crossed reference the part number on the box I have (E-251x) through Summit Racing as opposed to Rock Auto. Summit Racing says... oh look.. you have DEEP GROOVE rings here.

I looked back through my order history and sure as SH#T, I ordered the wrong Effin part. That means I'll be sending back the one cylinder set of Hastings Rings I ordered, too, because they'll be wrong, as well.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll be sending back the one cylinder set of Hastings Rings I ordered, too, because they'll be wrong, as well.
yep. and from my foggy memory the shallow rings were more costly. This is kinda like "I cut it twice and it's still too short"

Last edited:

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yep. and from my foggy memory the shallow rings were more costly.

I could have the right ones here tomorrow morning from Auto Zone. I'm sure as HELL not paying $83 for a set rings. $40 shipped from Rock Auto, though now I won't have the parts for the weekend. Oh well. I'm still short a piston.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I could have the right ones here tomorrow morning from Auto Zone. I'm sure as HELL not paying $83 for a set rings. $40 shipped from Rock Auto, though now I won't have the parts for the weekend. Oh well. I'm still short a piston.
what piston did you order? i wouldn't put shallow rings on a deep piston for fear of ring flutter.

Last edited:

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what piston did you order? i wouldn't put shallow rings on a deep piston
I haven't ordered one at all yet. Single pistons are surprisingly difficult to find. Rock Auto sells a set of 8 in the Engine Tech brand. I also see that same set of 8 being sold by private sellers. Makes me wonder what's wrong with them (the pistons, not the sellers, but that could go either way lol).

Also, I was all set to head to the yard in the morning. It's supposed to POUR all day tomorrow. Lovely.....

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't ordered one at all yet. Single pistons are surprisingly difficult to find. Rock Auto sells a set of 8 in the Engine Tech brand. I also see that same set of 8 being sold by private sellers. Makes me wonder what's wrong with them (the pistons, not the sellers, but that could go either way lol).

Also, I was all set to head to the yard in the morning. It's supposed to POUR all day tomorrow. Lovely.....
Call Napa or Carquest

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK...... my gawd I'm embarrassed. I have the wrong rings. These are shallow groove pistons alright... but somehow I EFFED up and ordered deep groove rings.
Step forth the person who hasn't at some time or another ordered the wrong thing....
At least you now know what the problem was.
I haven't ordered one at all yet. Single pistons are surprisingly difficult to find.
Have you considered asking if any forum members have a solo piston they can spare and can mail to you? Have you considered begging forum members....

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score

Yup we're supposed to get a front coming through Houston area "tonight".... it's 5:30am as I write this, and it's been raining since 5.....with a fair amount of lightning too so I think the weatherman was off a lil bit....