Piston ring install issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today is May 9th. It took SIX DAYS to ship a set of rings from Boaz, AL to NEPA. This is from Rock Auto, no less. That is complete and utter BS. Yes, I'm angry about it. That six days of lost progress (although, I was working on other things in the meantime).

Now that I have my rings... and they are installed... I'll post a pic of where I'm at right now.

You must be registered for see images attach

I will now continue to post my progress in the thread that started this madness.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got worried for a minute, when I didn't see the notch in the piston rim indicating which was was "forward". Then I blew-up the photo and could see the cast-in arrow pointing the correct direction.

Is that piston destroked? Does it come up as high as the others at TDC?

Kinda too bad you didn't have the block decks planed while it was apart. Also, too bad that it's getting a flat-tappet cam when the block is all set up for an OEM-style roller.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kinda too bad you didn't have the block decks planed while it was apart. Also, too bad that it's getting a flat-tappet cam when the block is all set up for an OEM-style roller.
Kinda too bad I'm not a millionaire. Also, too bad I have aluminum heads on order (by your suggestion, Schurkey, IIRC) that won't support a roller cam.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
times out of 10 the supplied springs need to go in the trashKinda too bad I'm not a millionaire. Also, too bad I have aluminum heads on order (by your suggestion, Schurkey, IIRC) that won't support a roller cam.
You're not stating all the specifics, but don't let the generic springs that come with the heads be your HFT cam failure. Just because a spring claims it good for .500+ doesn't mean it has the correct spring pressures for the cam you're installing. Take one off and test it and compare to the required spring recommendations. You don't always hear valvetrain instability issues until it's too late. Whatever it costs to do so is cheap insurance you don't destroy a fresh engine.

Last edited:

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the heads come with springs. I'll double check but I don't think they do.

Specifics? Like stock cam and stock valve springs?