Will I have to balence the rotating assembly on forged rods and pistons?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UtOBS

Reaction score
I’m planning on putting high comp forged rods and pistons but keeping bore and stroke stock. I had someone tell me I will have to get my rotating assembly balanced. Is this true? I thought it was only if you change the stroke and bore to a 377 or 383? Thanks, Korbin.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The GM balance is not that wonderful to begin with.

Change the weight of the rotating/reciprocating components, and all bets are off.

Don't let the balance shop screw-up the damper or flexplate/flywheel when they should be working on the crankshaft to achieve balance. This is a common "hack" job.

For the record, the original rods are either forged mild steel, or forged powdered metal. Either way, the stock rods are forged.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m planning on putting high comp forged rods and pistons but keeping bore and stroke stock. I had someone tell me I will have to get my rotating assembly balanced. Is this true? I thought it was only if you change the stroke and bore to a 377 or 383? Thanks, Korbin.
yes, get it done. Smoother running and longer lasting. Different sets of rods can have different weights on each end than factory,( weighed at each end separate , then comparatively for total weight) pistons and pins can be different weights, they calculate ring pack weights , bearings, etc. Rotating weight is calculated separately from reciprocating weight, a little more math and come up with a bob weight for the crank to be balanced at. It could be way off from stock, as said, Gm was not close factory but not critical in low rpm engines. They need the balancer and flexplate to do this. I normally do them new depending on how old, or what condition the old stuff is in. Maybe sfi flexplate if I plan on some romping. No need to mess with balancer with deteriorated rubber and crack prone stock umpteen 1000's flexplate. I know of only one application where a higher cr pistons and it's pin is within a few grams of oem, with stock rods they can be run, but balanced is still better. Don't know your plan but every set of aftermarket rods I've used needed the pin ends sized if bushed for floating pins. Undersized to allow custom pin fitment seems to be the thing. Street engines typically get balanced at a slightly different balance factor than a race engine that lives at high rpm from 5-9k

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My first SBC build, I just threw the engine together without balancing. It runs fine. My second and subsequent engines I balanced with a cheap Harbor Freight scale. There's a significant difference in vibration. When I sold my Suburban, it had a cracked block (buyer was aware), but the buyer said it was the smoothest running small block he'd ever seen.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just be glad you guys don't have a Buick. Goofiest OEM balance-job I know of. And when you replace the flywheel/flexplate, the crappy factory balance is lost entirely. If you replace the damper, and don't remove the balance pins from the old damper, and pound them into the correct positions in the new damper...the crappy factory balance is lost entirely.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just be glad you guys don't have a Buick. Goofiest OEM balance-job I know of. And when you replace the flywheel/flexplate, the crappy factory balance is lost entirely. If you replace the damper, and don't remove the balance pins from the old damper, and pound them into the correct positions in the new damper...the crappy factory balance is lost entirely.
Can get into a whole bunch of stuff. forged/cast cranks, early/late models of same engine, counter weighted balancers/flexplates,etc. A guy I use weighs the pins and puts light pins in the heavy pistons before working on the pistons. pins bores and pins od's seem to be extremely precise, even on the name brand cheaper pistons.. Have come across a few mismatched disasters.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

C5 Corvettes are balanced like that too, but the weights go in the flywheel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ObsGus