Good cam specs for build?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UtOBS

Reaction score
I have made 450 hp with lightly worked on Vortecs, 410 hp with stock Canadian 906s. Just better heads for the money available now and unlike the Vortecs, the good Chinese castings do not crack or fail nearly as easily as Vortecs.
Yah Im seriously thinking about getting some 850$ 200cc 64 Chinese aluminum heads. just a little scared of the reliability on a daily. Although I guess if the worst happens I could just throw stock heads back on until I have the money for AFR or trickflow.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, what does it involve?
You need the bosses for 3 bolts that hold down the "Dog Bone" spider,
You must be registered for see images attach

and the ones on the front for the cam retainer plate (2 button head bolts. You need to measure the bolt hole spacing for the right kit.

You must be registered for see images attach

Or you can go with "Link Bar" lifters but, they're expensive!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yah Im seriously thinking about getting some 850$ 200cc 64 Chinese aluminum heads. just a little scared of the reliability on a daily. Although I guess if the worst happens I could just throw stock heads back on until I have the money for AFR or trickflow.
Buy them as bare castings and put decent parts in them.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yah, just looking to up compression and if I’m doing pistons I’ll spend the extra and go forged and also get rods.

Yah, I’m shooting for around 330hp. Not sure if it’s possible on vortec heads? Just trying to hit 330 cheapest way possible. And I don’t want to LS swap.
At 330 hp there's no reason for "better" rods. The factory rods are plenty good. You can get a half a point of compression swapping from a .040" head gasket to a .016".

If your Vortec heads are good, I'd stick with them.

Get the spider for holding down the roller lifter dog bones. Use it as a template. Drill and tap three holes, insert all-threads, and jam-nut them in place. You now have a mount for the factory roller bits. Then use a cam button on the nose of the cam. Bam! Cheap roller cam. Note that I haven't gone back into my TBI motor to do this yet, but it's my plan.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the spider for holding down the roller lifter dog bones. Use it as a template. Drill and tap three holes, insert all-threads, and jam-nut them in place. You now have a mount for the factory roller bits.
I've never tried this either but, I seem to remember someone saying the lifter bores are too high (or too low) for the dog bones in a non-roller block, or something like that...

UtOBS

Reaction score
At 330 hp there's no reason for "better" rods. The factory rods are plenty good. You can get a half a point of compression swapping from a .040" head gasket to a .016".

If your Vortec heads are good, I'd stick with them.

Get the spider for holding down the roller lifter dog bones. Use it as a template. Drill and tap three holes, insert all-threads, and jam-nut them in place. You now have a mount for the factory roller bits. Then use a cam button on the nose of the cam. Bam! Cheap roller cam. Note that I haven't gone back into my TBI motor to do this yet, but it's my plan.
I have a TBI not a vortec.