Tbi and vortec cams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Been on a few sites and coming up with nothing.
Been looking at buying a cam for my 454 vortec but the ones I've been seeing I like says 65-96 454s.
Anybody know if the cam from the tbi's will fit the vortec block.
Thanks in advance

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The early, pre-96 cam fits the block just fine. It doesn't fit the OEM thrust plate, or the OEM timing set, and it's most-likely a flat-tappet job although there's some roller cams available as an aftermarket upgrade.

You need a step-nose cam, which has the right nose to fit the thrust plate, and the right bolt circle diameter to fit the timing set. It's gonna be specifically intended for a 96-up Vortec 7.4L.

Reaction score
The early, pre-96 cam fits the block just fine. It doesn't fit the OEM thrust plate, or the OEM timing set, and it's most-likely a flat-tappet job although there's some roller cams available as an aftermarket upgrade.

You need a step-nose cam, which has the right nose to fit the thrust plate, and the right bolt circle diameter to fit the timing set. It's gonna be specifically intended for a 96-up Vortec 7.4L.
Thanks for the advice I'll see what I can find

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it was me, I got a step-nose, steel camshaft having the cast-iron distributor drive gear at the back, for compatibility with ordinary distributor driven gears.

Lunati called it the "Everwear gear", I think.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OE GM production roller cams are made of billet 5150 steel; GM uses & recommends a Melonized steel distributor gear. Melonized steel dist gears are widely available from GM and aftermarket. Do ensure you choose correct ID to fit your distributor shaft's OD; they're not all same size.