Cams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gone up a few bucks, but this is how you get around low idle vacuum, tie this to a relay that gets a signal from the brake light switch. When you are on the brakes, the pump runs. I use a 3/8 check valve between the engine and a T-this off the 2nd leg of the T and the 3rd leg of the T goes into the OEM check valve on the booster. If the pump were to fail you would atleast get some assist on the booster from the engine. Hella claims they are not exaclty meant as a stand alone brake vacuum pump but they work very well setup as I mentioned. It is more of a secondary supply to create more vacuum than the engine alone can when setup the way I mentioned. Engine pulls what it can, then the vacuum pump pulls the rest, sealing off the vacuum line to the engine via the check valve.

Last edited:

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gone up a few bucks, but this is how you get around low idle vacuum, tie this to a relay that gets a signal from the brake light switch. When you are on the brakes, the pump runs. I use a 3/8 check valve between the engine and a T-this off the 2nd leg of the T and the 3rd leg of the T goes into the OEM check valve on the booster. If the pump were to fail you would atleast get some assist on the booster from the engine. Hella claims they are not exaclty meant as a stand alone brake vacuum pump but they work very well setup as I mentioned. It is more of a secondary supply to create more vacuum than the engine alone can when setup the way I mentioned. Engine pulls what it can, then the vacuum pump pulls the rest, sealing off the vacuum line to the engine via the check valve.

thanks i’ll check it out

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at Comp Cams, been using their 280H for decades.. dang good cam....
is a stock 99 L31 hydraulic roller or flat tappet? i’ve seen mixed results online pretty sure it’s roller but i want to be 100% sure

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one last question what kind of valve springs and retainers would you recommend?
I used GM 12499224 valvesprings - which are the Corvette Z06 LS6 valvesprings. I can't remember where I found the info, but they're about 10% stiffer than the stock Vortec springs. They're no longer available, but Melling sells an LS6 valvespring, and I trust them more than I trust GM.

If you're running over .500" lift you'll also need to use umbrella valve seals instead of positive seals.

is a stock 99 L31 hydraulic roller or flat tappet? i’ve seen mixed results online pretty sure it’s roller but i want to be 100% sure
If anybody online is saying the L31s came with flat tappets...

You must be registered for see images attach

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used GM 12499224 valvesprings - which are the Corvette Z06 LS6 valvesprings. I can't remember where I found the info, but they're about 10% stiffer than the stock Vortec springs. They're no longer available, but Melling sells an LS6 valvespring, and I trust them more than I trust GM.

If you're running over .500" lift you'll also need to use umbrella valve seals instead of positive seals.

If anybody online is saying the L31s came with flat tappets...

You must be registered for see images attach
Likely won’t be running over 500 lift what would be a good cam to run with this I am okay with the loss of low end torque i just want a nice mean idle without losing too much vacuum i’m guessing something around .480 lift 215-230 ish duration and 112° lsa would be decent?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
XM270HR is as much as I would run and it would really benifit from long tube headers, decent exhaust, volant intake and a properly tuned 0411 along with a good 2,500 rpm converter.

The only real difference between the custom cam I have in my 383 and the cam I mentioned above were changes made because I was trying to tame down the valvetrain noise and tightened the LSA to make more midrange power.

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
XM270HR is as much as I would run and it would really benifit from long tube headers, decent exhaust, volant intake and a properly tuned 0411 along with a good 2,500 rpm converter.

The only real difference between the custom cam I have in my 383 and the cam I mentioned above were changes made because I was trying to tame down the valvetrain noise and tightened the LSA to make more midrange power.
would this give me plenty of aggressive choppy idle?

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

What springs and retainers would you recommend for this cam? I was thinking of going with melling ls6 style and comp cams retainers just need a second opinion