'88 5.7 Roller cam conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NMNorsse

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '88 5.7 has the bosses for the roller cam spider in the intake valley. So I'm assuming a cam retainer plate can be installed but haven't visually verified that.

I've read many of the cam threads here.

I use the truck to tow a boat or trailer and haul materials. I'd like to not have to mess with the computer, my heads are good but I've got a lifter tick so I'm going to have replace those eventually & that would be a good time to upgrade the cam. I'll do an exhaust upgrade at the same time. I've got the 3.73 posi rear diff. The engine, truck and transmission have under 60k original miles and mechanically it is great shape. It could use paint, but I like the patina.

Summit has a roller conversion kit for a Gen 1 block that includes everything for $1,500- lifters, the spider, dog bones, the cam retainer plate, timing set, a cam, springs, rocker arms, push rods, distributor gear, etc... Sum-CSUMSRG1001. Its out of stock right now, but says it could ship at the end of April and I'm not in a huge rush.

The Summit kit comes with their stage 3 cam, which is for high rpms. I think their stage 1 roller cam would be better in my truck and hope they'd substitute it.

The SUM-8800 cam is advertised as "the largest that can be run with a factory tune in 87-96 TBI. It has a perceptible idle and makes great power through the range. A torque converter is not required. Pulls strongly from 1,500 to 6,000 with good valve springs."

Here are the specs:

204/214 Dur., 112 LSA + 1 adv, lift with 1.5 rocker 450/.450., lift w/1.6 rocker .480/.480, range: idle - 5800, I/O -9, I/C 33, E/0 40, E/C -6, overlap -15

Has anyone run that cam, that kit or have any insights into it?

Should I get the 1.5 or 1.6 rocker arms?

Any other tips of things I ought to do while I've got it apart?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone run that cam, that kit or have any insights into it?
I ran a similar kit which didn't have the cam gear set, Comp Cams CCA-08-1000 but, it came with the "Old Style" cam retainer plate. I had to buy the correct plate for my Mr Goodwrench 5.7L block (made in Mx). You need to measure the bolt spacing there to be sure.

NMNorsse

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran a similar kit which didn't have the cam gear set, Comp Cams CCA-08-1000 but, it came with the "Old Style" cam retainer plate. I had to buy the correct plate for my Mr Goodwrench 5.7L block (made in Mx). You need to measure the bolt spacing there to be sure.

Thanks!

I saw a similar kit with cam etc.. from Comp. Plus they've got just the spider, dogbones and retainer in a kit by itself for $150 that you linked to.

I read in one of the posts or maybe it was a footnote to the comp cam kit about that different retainer plate.

I'll get the casting number for my block and try to figure out which retainer I need that way. If I can't figure it out I'll order the other one and return it if I don't need it.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll get the casting number for my block and try to figure out which retainer I need that way. If I can't figure it out I'll order the other one and return it if I don't need it.
Just pop the timing cover off and measure it...