Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spend wisely at the machine shop.
1) Always get the block, heads, and crank vatted and magnafluxed.
2) If the bores are sketchy, have them checked to see if a hone will clean them up.
3) Boring is expensive. You'll need new pistons and rings. You'll have to spend more to have the machine shop recondition the rods and install the new pistons on them. I'd only bore the block if the cylinders are bad.
4) Getting the block decked is nice, but not always necessary. You also have to measure your piston depth afterwards and do math stuff to ensure your quench is good. Even if you don't get it decked, you'll want to do the math as a sanity check. You don't want to end up with the piston .030" in the hole and a .040" thick head gasket.
5) I wouldn't have them replace the valve guides. Check the valve fitment yourself, and if they're bad, consider new heads.

Spend wisely on your parts also.
1) Do you really want to replace the cam, or just pep up the engine a little? I have a $150 L98 I picked up, and to spice it up on a budget I'm putting in a stock Vortec cam and a set of 1.6 rockers. The cam was $23 at Pull-A-Part and the rockers (self-aligning, long slot, 1.6:1 stamped rockers) were $131. That's half the price of a new roller cam.
2) Cost vs benefit, you don't need roller rockers or a whole "cam kit". Take the stock roller lifters apart, clean them, and reuse them with the factory spider.
3) A trick oil pan, harmonic balancer, or other shiny part isn't much of a benefit on a street truck. Tackle what will actually improve performance or ease maintenance over what is shiny.

A local tuning shop that is competent is better than a remote tuning shop that is internet-reputable.

Keep in mind the Theory of Constraints. Excepting the cam, most parts don't "make power", they unlock it. The biggest cam in the world has big horsepower potential, but the heads, intake, streetable compression ratio, etc, all get in the way. If a shiny oil pan reduces windage at 7000 rpm, it's helpful for a race engine, but it's not a constraint in your street engine. What parts remove horsepower constraints and how much are you willing to spend to remove that constraint?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Isn't an L98 cam better than a Vortec cam? I thought they were close to an LT1 cam in specs.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doh! You're right. I replaced it because it's not a roller cam, but a Vortec cam with 1.6 rockers is just shy on duration with a nice bump in lift.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Doh! You're right. I replaced it because it's not a roller cam, but a Vortec cam with 1.6 rockers is just shy on duration with a nice bump in lift.

Yeah I had to give it a Google just to be sure. It's a weird one, like a really low lift LT1 cam. I've been itching to try an LT1 cam advanced 4 degrees on the 1500 after seeing where my Camaro peaked with a fresh timing set. You can (or used to) find them plenty cheap, $30-50 and even with stock rockers have .450"/460"lift.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point was being wise on parts choice. The stock Vortec cam that he already has will just about match that $269 GM 14097395 with a $131 set of rockers.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The L98 TPI cam is probably better at midrange torque but less lowend like a truck needs. This is the cam most would recommend I think: https://www.gmpartscenter.net/oem-p...vDqhZaeaH77ZZW-jTj-xAVVEdy9YVdBwaAi3WEALw_wcB

We're actually in agreement, for this cam (GM #14097395) is the exact one spec'd in the HT383. (reply #16)

Big block pull when called upon, small block economy during light throttle cruising. (due to lower pumping losses.)

I would be curious if there was a dyno comparison between the 395 cam with stock 1.5 rockers vs the Vortec cam with 1.6 rockers?
And how much of a difference between the 2 would be noticed with a stock exhaust connected? Feels like we're in @L31MaxExpress 's
territory. :0)

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've used these Voodoo cams in the last three engines I've built. The first two for customers and the last one in the 355 that currently resides in my ElCamino and will be going in ol Smoky soon. I love these cams for their really broad power range. I noticed on this roller cam that the torque comes in a little later than the flat tappet cams I've used in the past. The FT cams I've installed start at 1400 RPM vs the 1800 RPM these roller cams start at so you will have to run a higher stall convertor but the end result will be impressive. They do have a little lump-t-lump at idle which most people like.
I run them with a minimum 9:1 static compression with port work in the heads and the engines run like 10:1 motors without the aggravation of getting bad gas. I run 87 octane at 10% corn liqour in ElCie with no problems.