Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A good machine shop should be able to steer you in the right direction as far as cam recommendations. Talk to whoever it is that you'll be having do your work.
Tuning... they may have recommendations there as well. Sometimes there's local people with a dyno that do good tuning.
Just suggesting...

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've always installed cams dot to dot and never had an issue. You only need to degree a cam if you're tailoring the RPM range. Retard them a little if you want to lower the HP and torque range,advance it if you want to raise the ranges.

This is bass ackwards. Advance a cam to close the intake valve sooner and bring on power sooner. Retard it to shave off some torque and rev a little higher.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always used exhaust valve timing to determine the power range of an engine. Leave it closed longer to create more low end torque,open it sooner to give the intake it more breathing time at the higher RPM's. I've seen it written the way you state but just doesn't work right in my brain.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve read a lot about black bear tunes,
Skip this step,it will be money wasted. No one can burn a chip that will be accurate for your engine configuration unless you datalog the engine and send the log to the burner. If you have a dyno shop close by then just take it to them once you get it built and running and let them start from scratch.
What year is your truck?

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since it's going into a GMT400 chassis, maximizing the available torque at street rpm is the key to success.
So I'm thinking that using this engine as a best reasonable effort performance benchmark
would be a great place to start:

You must be registered for see images attach

NOTE: For comparison purposes, the L29/454 big block in my '99 C2500 is rated at 290hp, and 410 ft/lbs of torque. (!)

And here are the part numbers that GM used to make their 383ci small block pull like a big block:

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm not saying this is the ONLY solution, or even the best solution. But this is what the GM engineers
put together, which had a warranty, and all kinds of under the valve cover engineering that most folks don't
take into consideratin. For example, there are more aggressive cams that might eke out a few more hp,
but does the valvetrain now make so much more noise that the knock sensor/ECU setup is now pulling
timing out whenever the clatter/harmonics exceed what the algorithm can filter out?

Point is, learn as much about this cam as you can, so that when people start throwing numbers around,
you will at least have the Situational Awareness to know if they are proposing something suitable for a
heavy SUV vs. a lightweight '67 Nova with a stick and no interior.

EDIT: Some tuning will be required. If this is a no-go, then I'd just go back to fresh stock and enjoy that.
Your mileage may vary...

But don't forget to enjoy the bench racing while you are busy spec'ing out your new powerplant.
It's the closest that some of us get to the "Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas" phase of our childhood...
:)

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always installed cams dot to dot and never had an issue.
Not unreasonable...IF (big IF) there aren't any manufacturing screwups in the parts you're using.

Example:
Buick people had issues with a certain brand of timing set. The company made them with the keyway something like 14 degrees "off".

You only need to degree a cam if you're tailoring the RPM range.
Not entirely true. Yes, you can move the cam around to tailor the power to the RPM you want it. I degree cams to make sure the entire system has the cam timing where it's supposed to be.

A machining error--or multiple errors--anywhere in the system will screw-up cam timing, and unless the cam is degreed, you won't know until the engine runs disappointingly bad.

The keyway on the crankshaft has to be properly indexed to the #1 crank throw.
The keyway on the crank gear has to be properly indexed.
A multiple-keyway crank gear has to be installed using the correct alignment indicator. (Some guys use the +4 degree keyway, but use the "straight up" or -4 degree "dot" to align it to the cam gear, for example.)
The dowel hole on the cam gear has to be properly indexed.
The dowel hole on the cam has to be properly indexed.

In addition to the above--which can be corrected with offset keyways, offset keys, or offset dowel bushings, there's also stuff that can't be corrected that way:
The camshaft tunnel in the block has to be properly aligned to the crankshaft
The lifter bores in the block have to be properly aligned
Each cam lobe has to be ground to the proper location

Multiple machining operations, some of them done by outside suppliers, and the sum total of error has the camshaft within a degree or two of "perfect", INCLUDING TIMING CHAIN SLACK which can become excessive if the block has been align-bored, for example.

I degree EVERY cam I install, and I check #1 cylinder and #6 cylinder--so I get both banks, one at the front, one near the rear of the engine.

If the engine doesn't live up to my expectations, I know it's NOT the cam timing that's at fault. (Well, since I don't check every lobe, I leave myself open to mis-ground camshafts...but that's a pretty rare issue.)

I am a newbie with motor work! So I was hoping to find some information on a cam kit that I could install and not mess with anything as far as installation goes
No such thing. In the real world, machining errors happen. Ideally, they're caught before the engine is installed in the vehicle, and runs poorly as a result.

Then there's the "correction" of problems caused by GM machining and spec'ing the cylinder heads to accommodate only low-lift cams--lack of clearance between the valve retainer and the guide or seal, for example. Or using valve springs that are too soft for performance use.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Skip this step,it will be money wasted. No one can burn a chip that will be accurate for your engine configuration unless you datalog the engine and send the log to the burner. If you have a dyno shop close by then just take it to them once you get it built and running and let them start from scratch.
What year is your truck?

If Blackbear has an Autocal option the user can email BB datalogs and BB can send updated tunes until the truck is right. But first we need to know what engine OP has and whether or not he's down for a 411 swap.

Reaction score
What year is your truck?
My Tahoe is a 99, and I reached out to a friend of mine and I was told the dyno guy has the software to tune a 5.7 vortec. So he’d probably get a better tune than black bear since he could see everything right in front of him