5.7 Vortec tick after replacing lifters and cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96ChevyC1500

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1996 Chevy C1500 with a 5.7 vortec. I just replaced the lifters and also put a new cam in it. When I started it up it took a while but I started to hear a ticking noise from what sounds like the back of the engine. You can hear it most at idle, but as you start to drive it, it fades away. It usually takes a while to start hearing it, but sounds like it starts to tick after the motor warms up. Could it be an exhaust leak or loose rocker arms? I wouldn't suspect it to be rocker arms due to the fact that I adjusted those according to the book and they looked good upon inspection as did the springs.

Xombi

Reaction score
Perhaps by increasing back pressure on the exhaust you could more readily diagnose an exhaust gasket leak on a running engine. You can also pressurize an exhaust system of a non running engine, rotate the crankshaft and sometimes find leaks that way. You would also close off the TBI. I am not familiar with GM evaporative emissions so you may have to plug the lines leading to the valving or actuators to avoid damage to that system as well. What is oil pressure at idle? At times a stethoscope can be your friend when looking for leaks or ticks. .

Last edited: