Lifter Recomendations For Cam Setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TStowell

Reaction score
Hi im camming my 1996 c1500 with a 5.7 vortec i wasn't originally planning on replacing the lifters but ive got some pretty bad lifter tick and i think its a good idea to replace them while im in there with the heads off. Im looking for any recommendations ive found 2 so far some acdelco stock replacement lifters and a kit of lifters with tie bars. Thanks!

ACDelcos

Mad Hornet Lifters W/ Tie Bars

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im looking for any recommendations ive found 2 so far some acdelco stock replacement lifters and a kit of lifters with tie bars
If you're still planning on using the lifter hold down "Spider" you don't need "Tie Bar" (or link bar) lifters. Go look on other cam manufacturer's web sights for a full set of lifters, you'll save a couple bucks.

Last edited:

TStowell

Reaction score
If you're still planning on using the lifter hold down "Spider" you don't need "Tie Bar" (or link bar) lifters. Go look on other cam manufacturer's web sights for a full set of lifters, you'll save a couple bucks.
is there an advantage to using the link bars over the stock hold downs?

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi im camming my 1996 c1500 with a 5.7 vortec i wasn't originally planning on replacing the lifters but ive got some pretty bad lifter tick and i think its a good idea to replace them while im in there with the heads off. Im looking for any recommendations ive found 2 so far some acdelco stock replacement lifters and a kit of lifters with tie bars. Thanks!

is there an advantage to using the link bars over the stock hold downs?

I'm of the opinion that the engineering behind the stock-style spider hold downs
seems to be more reliable, especially when you are putting an engine together
with an eye towards racking up a lot of reliable miles on it.

For what it's worth, here's a thread from another Chevy forum where the
original poster is showing how a pair of his tie bar lifters failed and put a
lot of hard metal shrapnel into his motor: (Tie Bar Lifter failure thirdgen.org)

Although I'm sure that others have enjoyed long-term success with aftermarket
parts, if your block is already set up for the factory hydraulic roller lifters then I
would take full advantage of all the engineering/reliability testing that's behind it.

For what it's worth...

Last edited:

TStowell

Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that the engineering behind the stock-style spider hold downs

lot of hard metal shrapnel into his motor: (Tie Bar Lifter failure thirdgen.org)

parts, if your block is already set up for the factory hydraulic roller lifters then I
would take advantage of all the engineering that's behind it.

For what it's worth...
Not really in an L31 engine. In an LS, you can eliminate the plastic inserts.
Alright thanks so much i found a pair from comp cam lifters and a pair of chevy performance lifters that are a much better deal and keep the stock retainers.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
brand: ELGIN
PN: HL-2148

made in North America (yes, NA includes Mexico)

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

would take full advantage of all the engineering/reliability testing that's behind it.

For what it's worth...
I studied the 3rd gen Link and that post from OP skinny Z.
I looked for any reference to the failed link bar lifter's Brand and Country of Origin. I found none. I could see the link bars are stamped with something but I can neither resolve or read it. Maybe it does read something like Isky or like ACME roadrunner; I can't tell what it reads.
Dunno who made em or where. Somewhat surprised no one asked or answered that.
I also read where the OP indicated his lifter body made of tool steel; I see no evidence supporting that claim. In fact, the granular structure at broken ear seems to support it may be an iron casting.

*In same thread, but another poster did reference cam material (OP roller cam is pictured & clearly a casting, Not billet steel).
However, that other poster indicated he sees no need for Billet Steel core for Hydraulic roller cam.
I disagree. And note how GM apparently disagrees as well. Simply look at all those OE GM L30 & L31 Vortec motors' camshafts; they're all rather mild Hydraulic roller pieces but All are ground on a Billet Steel core (5150); millions of em.

As for that link bar lifter failure mode: I have little info to go on besides a few poor pics of that 3rd gen thread's pictures.
That said, my best WAG as cause of THOSE tie-bar lifter failure is my belief THOSE lifter bodies are machined from a relatively weak Casting and that they're of a "budget" class; same class likely same for its tie bars and rivets. Best suggestion is don't beat on cheap valvetrain. Moreover, no matter if roller core becomes hydraulic or solid grind; do choose billet steel.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The stock lifters are limited on lift before they run into the stock dog bone retainers. Make sure any aftermarket replacements can handle the lift of your cam.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
cam's base
The stock lifters are limited on lift before they run into the stock dog bone retainers. Make sure any aftermarket replacements can handle the lift of your cam.
In relation to dog bone valve lifter Guide Retainer (PN 14101116), camshaft's base circle also has great effect on how high lifter rises or falls.

Last edited: