Decent cam choice for a 383 build?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can see the nice 2-3 degrees of knock retard during the 1-2 shift.

You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I emailed my shopping list to Jegs tech support to double check for me, and they flagged the Lunati cam in the list incompatible.
I'd say it's incompatible with the factory tune, and you might need an MPFI upgrade if you haven't already done it, but it's physically compatible with the engine. Just make sure the Lunati part number is 20080720. I'm not sure where "V262HR12" came from, but googling pulls up a V6 cam, a 351 cam, and a discontinued cam.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i'm running 10.3:1 on 89 octane in my truck so far without issues. 355 w/ flat top pistons, TBI heads, 0.035" quench and a cam with a bit more duration than an RV cam.

383Dreams

Reaction score
It appears that 383 rotating assemblies are 3 to 4 months out. Jegs say their kits will ship from the manufacturer in a week, but I called Eagle directly, and they said mid-July at best. The engine builder I talked with said they have an engine that has been sitting there for 4 months they can't get rods for.

I can't have Truckie down that long, so I am going to replace the lifters which have been ticking and reassemble her for now with new gaskets to stop the leaking. After this, I hope to buy a 5.7 4-bolt main from the junkyard and work on it as I can get the parts. When it is ready, I will swap it out. I may end up going with a simple 355 as those parts are much easier to get and the block machining is a simple bore. Thanks for all the advice. I will certainly be using some of it in the upcoming build!