Carbureted LS Swap on 1990 GMC w/ 700r4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sle-z_90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted or (hopefully) completed this swap?

I have a 1990 GMC 1500 RCSB. It had a 350/700r4. I recently pulled the 350 and purchased a complete 6.0 LQ4 with DBC throttle body. I previously purchased an LS carb set up so my plan is to get it running on the carb initially, and switch to EFI later. Below are the parts I have purchased:

- 6.0 LQ4 with 168k miles, plan to change the rear main seal and oil pump before installing it, cam or other performance upgrades to wait until later
- ls carb intake (unbranded, bought used)
- Edelbrock Performer Carburetor #1406 600 CFM With Electric Choke (Non-EGR)
- Edelbrock Universal Micro Electric Fuel Pump - 38 GPH / 144 LPH (Gasoline/E85)
- MSD 6014 LS Ignition Controller
- Jegs GM LS Engine Swap Headers for 1967-1999 GM Pickup Trucks, Part Number: 555-30069
- Jegs Heavy-Duty SFI Flexplate for 1997-2016 GM LS1, LS2, LS6 Series Engines
- Jegs GM LS Crankshaft Spacer, Adapts: GM LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6, LS7, L92 To: Pre-1997 TH350, TH400, 700-R4, 4L60, 4L60E, 4L85E
- Jegs Fuel Pressure Regulator for Supercharged and Turbocharged Carbureted Engines [1.5-25 PSI Outlet Pressure]
- ICT Billet Swap Engine Conversion Mount Kit Compatible with 2WD 1988-1998 Chevy OBS Truck
- ICT Billet - Solid Aluminum Transmission Mount

I have a few more things I need to get before attempting the swap. The mounts I chose are not adjustable but are supposed to put the engine in stock position to mount to trans. I will need to buy a tv bracket for the carb and get some fuel hoses. I planed to attach to the factory fuel lines with some steel clamps to hold the hoses on. I dont plan to use the Edlebrock fuel pump, but it came with the carb set up I bought off marketplace.

I need to learn what to do with the factory wiring and what's possible as far as gauges and such. I know I'll need my factory harness from the 90 gmc to run the fuel pump but other than that I'm lost. I think the MSD will take care of a lot of it but not everything I'm sure.

Any advice or guidance is welcomed. I've never attempted this level of automotive work before. I generally just jump into stuff and learn along the way but would greatly appreciate anything that could help move the process along quicker.

Final note, I recognize all the benefits of EFI. However, I am this deep in parts and plan to use the carb set up to get going.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you plan to go back to EFI later then don't chop out any of the electronic harness. Bury it in loom for future use.
One part I saw missing from your list was a vacuum operated TCC switch. You will need that to keep from burning the TCC out. There are wiring harness schematics on this site. Find yours and study it well. I have absolutely no experience with the LS motors but there are many here that will steer you in the right direction for sensors to run your gauges,maybe the LS has them already. Always make a plan for any of the things your going to have to do to make this swap. An hour of research and forethought will save you days and dollars.

Sle-z_90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you plan to go back to EFI later then don't chop out any of the electronic harness. Bury it in loom for future use.
One part I saw missing from your list was a vacuum operated TCC switch. You will need that to keep from burning the TCC out. There are wiring harness schematics on this site. Find yours and study it well. I have absolutely no experience with the LS motors but there are many here that will steer you in the right direction for sensors to run your gauges,maybe the LS has them already. Always make a plan for any of the things your going to have to do to make this swap. An hour of research and forethought will save you days and dollars.
Thank you. This is the first I’m hearing of this. I found a motortrend article suggesting it’s optional but sounds like you feel it’s more important than they do. I may see how it drives without it at least at first.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take my word for it,the TCC switch is a must have. I learned this the hard way in an 86 Monte Carlo LS. Burned out the torque convertor when I replaced the PCM that came out of an 88 van with a TH400 with a non-lockup convertor. The van had the same TBI 262 V6 but did not have TCC lock programmed into the PCM. The car had a TBI 262 with a 2004R with TCC. The torque convertor was toast within 500 miles from constantly slipping and the car got the TH400 too.
This is a long winded way of saying been there,done that,got the tee shirt!

Sle-z_90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take my word for it,the TCC switch is a must have. I learned this the hard way in an 86 Monte Carlo LS. Burned out the torque convertor when I replaced the PCM that came out of an 88 van with a TH400 with a non-lockup convertor. The van had the same TBI 262 V6 but did not have TCC lock programmed into the PCM. The car had a TBI 262 with a 2004R with TCC. The torque convertor was toast within 500 miles from constantly slipping and the car got the TH400 too.
This is a long winded way of saying been there,done that,got the tee shirt!
Would you mind sharing what part you used if you remember?

Sle-z_90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score