Best engine swap for 1990 gmc 5 speed manual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UtOBS

Reaction score
I have a 1990 gmc k1500 regular cab step side which I am redoing. I picked the truck up for 3k no dents or rust. In my area I can’t find a running one without dents or rust for under 5k so I’d say it’s a good deal.

I’m doing a project in it. Want to do a classic 90s truck. I’m getting it painted in the next couple weeks and getting some wheels and lift on it. It’s got 200k and it’s a 5 speed manual.

I think to tie the whole build together an engine swap is in the future. The power range in going for is 420whp. My old man had a 600hp (crank) supercharged tundra when I was in high school that scooter pretty good. Love to get my truck up to it. HP to weight ratios say I need about 420Whp to run about what it ran.

I know cheap and engine swap are two words that don’t go together well. Same with cheap and fast.

from doing some research iv compiled a list of possible swaps for my stock TBI.

Of course none of these have the HP I’m looking for stock, I’m looking for the cheapest way to get there, (price of motor included). Because yes, a 6.2 makes 450hp (crank) but they also cost 4k. Would I be better off building a motor? Let me know what you guys think.

Engines iv considered:

Good ol 5.3 swap - super cheap and commen. and super easy to work on. Can get good power out of them.

6.0 (LQ from a truck) - still on the cheaper side compared to other LS motors. Same benefits as the 5.3 except a little more pony’s.

Lt1 - although 300 crank hp is not even close to the mark I’m after, the LT1 might be one of the only motors I can pick up cheaper than a 5.3. And from my understanding it’s almost a bolt in for our trucks? The downsides is limited aftermarket support and hard to push higher hp out of.

LS1 - probably the best candidate for the build. Easy to get HP out of and already has more HP stock (out of a vette) than the 6.0 and 5.3. The downsides are how expensive they are compared to the rest of the motors on my list.

6.2 out of a truck - higher HP stock. Basically a knock off LS3. Downsides is price of the motors.

I can pick these motors up out of a junkyard for following prices

5.3: 900$

6.0: 1100$

LT1: 1000$

LS1: 2700$

6.2: 2800$

Which direction including price of motor would be cheapest (i said cheapest, not cheap) to come close to my mark (390-420whp). Or if any other engines come to mind that’s great too.

LT1 sounds convincing to me, almost a bolt in and they are cheap. But expensive to build.

Also iv been told I might want to look into a different tranny?

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How are you planning on using this truck. You put big power and torque in it and drive it hard you'll find the week spot in the transmission. Nv4500 5 speed would be a good upgrade.
As for the motor swap I vote for an 8.1 bbc. Cheep bolt right in with a tune on the computer they will do 440hp and 550ftbl torque.

UtOBS

Reaction score
How are you planning on using this truck. You put big power and torque in it and drive it hard you'll find the week spot in the transmission. Nv4500 5 speed would be a good upgrade.
As for the motor swap I vote for an 8.1 bbc. Cheep bolt right in with a tune on the computer they will do 440hp and 550ftbl torque.
I do not know a ton about older GM stuff. Is that a manual tranny? Want to keep manual.

I agree it’s easy HP but it’s also alot heavyer than a 6.0.??? I’m not 100% sure though. Correct me if I’m wrong

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're starting with a 4wd truck. It's no Tundra, but it's still going to be heavy, no matter what. You don't need horsepower, you need torque, and that NV3500 isn't going to be up to handling big torque against a heavy weight.

For a five speed, I'd want an engine that revs and produces horsepower on the top end, but an engine like that in a heavy truck is going to be a dog. You'll need to pull at least a thousand pounds out of that truck for an engine like that to be fun. The upside is that if you can pull out a thousand pounds, the transmission might survive.

I agree it’s easy HP but it’s also alot heavyer than a 6.0.??? I’m not 100% sure though. Correct me if I’m wrong
An iron block LS weighs about the same as a SBC, but an aluminum block is about a hundred pounds lighter. If you're planning on building a turbo LS, go iron block, otherwise it's definitely worth the money to go aluminum.

If you have a budget and want to get it on the road ASAP, spend some money on a set of heads and build the 350 with a nice cam. You can be around 420 hp on a fresh engine for under $3000.

LT1? The L31 Vortec motor would be a better option. The heads on the Vortec motor are better and 400 hp is a cam swap away. Throw in some flat top pistons and you're there.

If you really want to do an LS swap, the 6.0 is the best bang for the buck. Now you just need to find an aluminum block 6.0 for ten Benjis...

UtOBS

Reaction score
NA isn't going to feel the same as your dad's truck. I vote 4.8/5.3 and an ebay turbo.
How would a 6.0 handle boost. Based on what I’m finding it seems like the Lq9 or ly6 6.0 are better motors.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would a 6.0 handle boost. Based on what I’m finding it seems like the Lq9 or ly6 6.0 are better motors.

It will handle it just fine, but you probably won't notice the difference unless you are going for an all out build.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this just a street toy or is it being worked pulling, hauling or off road. If it's being used as a truck I would build for torque and swap in the nv4500 5 speed. Granny low with overdrive. Easy would be l29 454 and 5 speed from a donar. I still think the 8.1 is better.
If it is a street toy and not being worked sure ls it. It's a4x4 truck skip the aluminum and put a 6.0 iron block in it. Lq9 iron block aluminum heads big and cheep. Put a 4l80 behind it with a loose converter.
I've had tbi 454 4l80, vortec 454 nv4500, 8.1 4l80, and 6.0 4l65. I've also had 5.7 vortec and tbi trucks. The 8.1 will run circles around my buddies 6.2 and gets better milage than the rest of my trucks. I would choose any sbc or bbc before an ls motor. I like the ls but they don't come alive until 3500. I'm to old for that. I'm saving my 6.0 for a standard cab s10. 6.0,4l80,deep gears loose converter and slicks. Drag strip toy

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about a 383 stroker? It has plenty of torque (443) for takeoff and, with the right cam HP (436) up towards the top. Here's an example so you get the idea. You can build one for less.

UtOBS

Reaction score
I thinking about going in the 6.0 direction. 6.0 with 799 heads, fast intake, headers, and a good cam setup. And I know someone that has done a 6.0 swap who says they can help me out. I’m just deciding on a few factors…. Iron vs aluminum block. Im leaning towards iron because of price and durability. Also lq9 vs ly6??? I’ll probably just get the motor in my truck and running and then worry about making some more serious HP (maybe boost??) and when I do I’ll find a good manual tranny for it.

It’s honestly just a street toy although I do take it up some dirt roads and two tracks to get it to trailheads as I mtb and hunt a lot. I’m Utah based.