Cheap plasma cutter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Anybody have experience with cheap plasma cutters?

I've always wanted one, but didn't want to spend the money. Now I'm seeing some in the $200-300 range, that I might could justify buying.

JEGS plasma Cutter

Mainly looking at that one. It won't get used a ton, I don't think, but would definitely come in handy.

Thoughts?

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought one on eBay a year or two ago for less than $200. For little stuff I still use a death wheel 90% of the time as free hand with a plasma I get really irregular cuts. If I can use a straight edge, it's a nice straight cut.

Mine works a lot better if it's blowing down. Side cuts are generally not very good and need a lot of clean up with the flapper. It might be my air compressor though, so that's another thing ... you need a pretty good sized air compressor to make good cuts, especially long ones.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a Hobart AirForce 250ci about ten years ago from Northern Tool, and it was under $500 at the time. Now I see a comparable cutter is a full grand. Holy crap!

I definitely like the on-board air compressor so I don't have to fire up the garage air compressor and wait five minutes just to cut. Size-wise it struggles with 3/16" or 1/4" plate.

mdnky

DOH!
Reaction score
I have a BestArc BTC450NP, grabbed it in January. Amazon had it for a ridiculously low price, so I couldn't pass it up. Pretty sure it was a closeout, but for $138 who cares. It's a 45amp low frequency pilot arc model.

I haven't used it a ton, and I've been limited to using it on 115V at the moment, but so far it's worked pretty well. Their other cutters had somewhat decent reviews and are in that $200-300 range, but are high frequency units (as are most cheaper cutters).

I had my eye on one by Lotos (LTP5500DCNC) that was selling for ~$430 with the coupon at that time. It's a low frequency pilot arc model with the control circuit for CNC/table use. Might still grab one eventually. They're the cheapest ones that are recommended by users in the Langmuir Systems forums for CNC use.

Last edited: