‘97 SWB 5.7 4L60E 0411 swapped…build dyno sheet…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97SWBCHEVY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What’s been done so far to my ‘97 C1500 2WD SWB 5.7 4L60E w the an old Powerdyne Supercharger BD-11A…
Did the 0411 swap before pulling the 5.7 out and to the machine shop… I sent an 0411 to Lextech and he did the basic program/tune whatever to it…did the swap per his pinout sheets, and everything went smooth and everything seemed to be good to go with that…well other than speedometer was about 20 mph off… So I pulled the engine and took it to the machine shop…went 40 over, E-Tech’s, Cam, new style Spider (factory OEM size injectors…Problem #1) and long tube headers…

Spider Injector…
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SMP-FJ504

Cam…
https://www.jegs.com/i/COMP-Cams/24...=Transactional&utm_content=Order+Confirmation

Heads…
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-60975

Headers…https://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTE-H8059-1Be

Took the truck to HP Racing in Garland, Texas for a tune and about all I can say is that the truck is at best now drivable…which it wasn’t before taking it there…

Topped out at 207 hp before maxing out the fuel…the tech also said he wasn’t getting any signal from my 2 Bar Map Sensor or O2 Sensor(s) so I’ve got a number of issues going on…

He suggests buying 2 new O2 Sensors w pigtails and a boss for the header without one and wire them in according to the pinout sheets… I don’t know about the 2 Bar Map Sensor not communicating cause when I first took the 1 Bar off and put the new 2 Bar on, the truck wouldn’t start…I swapped them out…the put the 2 Bar back on after putting it on the Dyno…

So what’s y’all’s thoughts on best route for fixing these issues…starting with the fuel issue! From what I’ve read and been told is going too big replacing the spider with the new spider with bigger injectors can cause me problems as well..???
The guys at HPR suggested going this route…any thoughts on these kits???

Also does anyone know off the top of their head what post the info about where the grounds are???

Any help/suggestions/advice would be much appreciated!!!

Thank You,
Shane

Attachments

• IMG_8576.jpeg
    IMG_8576.jpeg
    488.6 KB · Views: 28

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have an issue that is likely unrelated to the injectors at the moment. What was the injector duty cycle? What is the fuel pressure at WOT at RPM?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
‘97 C1500 2WD SWB 5.7 4L60E
He suggests buying 2 new O2 Sensors w pigtails and a boss for the header without one and wire them in according to the pinout sheets…
I'm guessing you replaced the stock manifolds that had bosses for two O2 sensors with a header that only had a boss for one? Yeah, fix that. You can get a bag-o-bungs for $20, and they work well.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079V4V5JX

So what’s y’all’s thoughts on best route for fixing these issues…starting with the fuel issue! From what I’ve read and been told is going too big replacing the spider with the new spider with bigger injectors can cause me problems as well..???
The guys at HPR suggested going this route…any thoughts on these kits???
You think you went too big on the injector size and their recommendation is alcohol injection? That doesn't track. If you went up in injector size, you need to know the duty cycle on the injectors and the air/fuel alpha in the exhaust. How did they tune it without knowing that? Also, without that info you're at the mercy of a race shop trying to sell you more stuff. If you paid them to tune it, make sure your ducks are in a row, and then make them uphold their part of the bargain.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm guessing you replaced the stock manifolds that had bosses for two O2 sensors with a header that only had a boss for one? Yeah, fix that. You can get a bag-o-bungs for $20, and they work well.

You think you went too big on the injector size and their recommendation is alcohol injection? That doesn't track. If you went up in injector size, you need to know the duty cycle on the injectors and the air/fuel alpha in the exhaust. How did they tune it without knowing that? Also, without that info you're at the mercy of a race shop trying to sell you more stuff. If you paid them to tune it, make sure your ducks are in a row, and then make them uphold their part of the bargain.

I also see tooners recomeend larger injectors all the time without even putting a fuel preasure gauge on the system. If the system is not holding ~60 psi at wide open throttle, which I have a strong suspecion it is not, put bigger injectors in it and it does the same thing.

97SWBCHEVY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the link for the bungs…you are correct, I went with long tube headers and only one side had a bung…

And he claimed that the O2 sensor on the side I have it isn’t communicatiing or there’s no signal that that O2 sensor is even there and/or plugged in…suggesting I buy 2 new ones w/pigtails and wire them in according to the pinout…

97SWBCHEVY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

As far as the new spider/injectors…I didn’t go bigger on the size of injectors…I just bought the new style OEM specs replacement that did away with the factory “poppet” style/design…so I shouldn’t need to know the “duty cycle” for it correct? As far as the “air/fuel alpha” in the exhaust, I have no idea…I don’t really know one single thing about “tuning” other than the term “tuning” and I wasn’t wanting/planning to learn…I realize now that I was way wrong in thinking I could take my truck to this place and trust that when they got done doing what they are in the business of doing, that I’d have a truck that’s pretty close to being dialed in and good to go…and the red flag I should’ve paid attention to was at one point during a phone conversation they slid in a disclaimer that since the engine in the truck was a L31 5.7 and not an “LS swap” that their mechanics would be unable to perform any work on the truck and/or engine other than tuning it…
I don’t even know what I should’ve expected to get from them as far as data/info etc…for example fuel pressure…rpm’s, timing, etc…etc… all I got was the one sheet with the graph…hp & torque…nothing else…is that normal, or should I have gotten more???

Attachments

• IMG_8576.jpeg
    IMG_8576.jpeg
    488.6 KB · Views: 5

97SWBCHEVY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also see tooners recomeend larger injectors all the time without even putting a fuel preasure gauge on the system. If the system is not holding ~60 psi at wide open throttle, which I have a strong suspecion it is not, put bigger injectors in it and it does the same thing.
I assumed that when their computers are hooked up, or plugged into the truck that information and data like that was being gathered, read and recorded at all times by the software/system?
Where would be the best place to install a fuel pressure gauge on the system/truck?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I assumed that when their computers are hooked up, or plugged into the truck that information and data like that was being gathered, read and recorded at all times by the software/system?
Where would be the best place to install a fuel pressure gauge on the system/truck?
Our generation of trucks do not use a fuel pressure sensor. To be out of fuel at 200 whp means that the fuel delivery system is weak. I would connect a gauge to the test port on stainless lines coming out of the spider. Carefully route the hose away from heat and sharp edges and tape the gauge to the windshield in plain sight. I put a line of tape at 60 PSI to make it easy to read. When you put the pedal down the gauge needs to sit very close to that tape line all the way to the shift points. If it falls off quickly get off the throttle. Plugged filter, weak pump or inadquate wiring can all contribute to low fuel pressure under load. The stock sized MPFI spider can fuel 400-450 hp at the crankshaft.