‘97 C1500 SWB 5.7 4L60E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97SWBCHEVY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My engine is finally going to the machine shop Monday…
I’ve done the 0411 swap already and things appear to be good with that so far…
I still haven’t settled on which cam I’m gonna go with yet… I’ve read a ton of stuff and I’ve come to realize the only only universal agreement/view/thoughts is that I should call and talk to someone at the cam buying store…lol but I will listen to any opinions/advice/suggestions y’all may have for me as far as what would be a good cam to throw in it…something that will atleast make it worth going with a different cam, but at the same time still be able to cruise around town in it…lol…
The plan is 60 over, flat top pistons & decking the block just a tiny lil bit…
I plan on upgrading the spider cause as far as I know it still has the poppet style in it…any advice on this would be welcomed as well!
I also plan on putting the old school PowerDyne BD11 back on it as well…
Now for the initial question I planned on asking…lol
Is anyone running these Patriot Long Tube Headers? If so, what’s your thoughts on em?
Also what are y’all’s thoughts on raw/paint/ceramic vs the price differences?
Any other better options/suggestions on which long tube headers to go with???
Thanks You,
Shane

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The plan is 60 over, flat top pistons & decking the block just a tiny lil bit…
I also plan on putting the old school PowerDyne BD11 back on it as well…
High compression + supercharging isn't the best idea. It makes knocking far easier, and knocking under boost = holey pistons. I'd probably go with a mild dish to lower the compression to nearer 9:1. An intercooler would lower your intake charge temperature, making more power at a lower boost pressure and preventing detonation.

Doing a quick read of BD11 specs, it's not a high-horsepower supercharger. It's limited to 13 psi, but really 9 psi if you want it to live. I'd put the supercharger on an engine with a mild build and a stock-sounding cam. If you want high compression and a nasty sounding cam on this motor, I'd build it nasty and I'd leave the supercharger on the shelf.

As far as headers, ceramic is the way to go, but the sellers want a $300 premium for $20 worth of ceramic coating. If you have a media blaster and a large oven handy, get the cheap headers and coat them your self. I bought the cheap headers, tried to clean them off with a wire wheel and emory cloth, and then shot them with "high-temp exhaust paint". It lasted about five miles before it looked bad.