Cams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
going to be buying an aftermarket cam currently planning on getting one with these specs: Duration at .050 in. 215/223, Lift .473/.473, as well as upgraded springs

My main concerns are tunability of the stock black box and having enough vacuum to use my brakes without doing hydroboost.

You guys on here know way more about these trucks than I do so if there is anything i should know beforehand please let me know.

1999 Tahoe K1500 5.7 L31 Vortec, bone stock motor.

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
going to be buying an aftermarket cam currently planning on getting one with these specs: Duration at .050 in. 215/223, Lift .473/.473, as well as upgraded springs

My main concerns are tunability of the stock black box and having enough vacuum to use my brakes without doing hydroboost.

You guys on here know way more about these trucks than I do so if there is anything i should know beforehand please let me know.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

That cam was a good deal at one point. Isn't it like $600+ from GM now for just the cam?

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That cam was a good deal at one point. Isn't it like $600+ from GM now for just the cam?
I think it was around there do you know any cams of as close to those specs as possible that are available right now? also need something that will work with my factory distributor gear I think I can run around .480 since I'm doing ls springs.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it was around there do you know any cams of as close to those specs as possible that are available right now? also need something that will work with my factory distributor gear I think I can run around .480 since I'm doing ls springs.
That cam was designed around stock springs. Depending on variables a correctly setup LS spring can clear 0.550" lift. I would look at the LPE 74211 myself. The GM cam ran good, but no way worth $600. Stock distributor works with most roller cams.

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That cam was designed around stock springs. Depending on variables a correctly setup LS spring can clear 0.550" lift. I would look at the LPE 74211 myself. The GM cam ran good, but no way worth $600. Stock distributor works with most roller cams.
Is there anything like the LPE 74211 but with more lift?

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(posted a second time since first time didnt get much traction)

You need to give it a couple days, and don't open a second thread with the same question. Just bump your thread if nobody's answering. Some of us only check the forum once a day.

I posted an answer to your vacuum question on your other thread. Hopefully a moderator can merge your two threads.