Will this cam work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Post #2 says everything you need to know.

That's coming up as a flat tappet cam for me, so no it won't work in an L31.

Your engine has roller lifters from the factory. Roller lifters are superior in every way to flat-tappets. Flat tappet cams have a very bad habit of losing lobes during break-in, and roller cams don't. A lot of us who build our own engines have sworn off flat-tappets. They're just not worth it. Also in favor of a roller cam, you don't have to replace your lifters. Pull them apart, clean and inspect them, make sure the roller's good, lube and re-install them. Done.

If you really want to do a cam swap, call your favorite cam grinder and ask them for a recommendation. They'll do a far sight better for you than randomly picking cams in a catalog, or even asking us for recommendations.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could some of that wear be caused by this all so great modern synthetic oils with no zinc additives?
I don't know of a motor oil with "NO" "zinc additives" (ZDDP).

The quantity of "zinc additives" was reduced to about 2/3 of what it had been, it was not eliminated.

I put roller rockers on most of my engines, but not for increased power. I do it to lower oil temp at the rocker.