Cams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moving to a larger ratio "kinda" changes duration. You'll get to .050" faster, and your valve opening under overlap will be larger.
one last question what kind of valve springs and retainers would you recommend? Im thinking ls springs but i need to know which retainers would work with my valves

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so what would be the largest i could go without an annoying amount of low end torque loss and could things like headers get me a noticeable amount of low end back if i did go the stupid route and put in a big cam?

WIth a stock torque converter and stock rear gear about a 210 @ 0.050 on the intake lobe. 220 @ 0.050 will also work but really needs a 2,500 rpm converter and deeper gears.

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
WIth a stock torque converter and stock rear gear about a 210 @ 0.050 on the intake lobe. 220 @ 0.050 will also work but really needs a 2,500 rpm converter and deeper gears.
so duration matters more than lift is my takeaway right now am i correct or no

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used this roller cam in my 88 5.7L (still have it sitting on the shelf), I could get it idling nice at ~750 RPM but, you could tell it wasn't stock. Still had enough vacuum for my brakes too.

Comp cams suggested I use CCA-986-8 springs. With my heads, I had to use CCA-4770-8 Locators. For retainers I used their CCA-743-8. I know some folks used "beehive" springs too. Just give your cam company a call and ask them. YMMV

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then again power brakes are a non issue with any cam. Either add the $100 GM Cadillac SRX vacuum pump or convert to hydroboost. Then again if you actually drive a hydroboosted vehicle sometime, you will never want to drive one with a vacuum booster again.

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can achieve both. Cam like a Crane 274H06. Tight LSA and short duration. Nice chunky idle, instant throttle response and good off-idle torque.
just watched a few videos on that cam and that’s the exact amount of lope i’m looking for i think i’ll go with that nevermind they went under that sucks