Good cam specs for build?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UtOBS

Reaction score
So I had plans to do a 377 stroker but my 450r bike blew up bottom and top end and the suspension has been out for a while so I’m a bit tight on play money. Rather than doing an all out 377 build iv decided just to do a mild build on a 350.

What are good can specs/can you recommend for the build:

AFR heads, forged pistons and rods around 10:1 comp, long tube headers into true duals with high flow cats and magna pack mufflers, stock throttle body bored out, intake bored, 18LB fuel pressure springs, tune.

I want as much power as I can get from a cam with it still being daily driven and off-roaded so huge loping cams are a no as it will be driven in low range 1st gear quite a bit.

It’s a 1990 z71 manual 5 speed, through 3.45 gears (I think), regular cab step side GMC. Chassis is stock except for 2 inch lift and 33x12.5s.

I will put a new clutch and pushrods in it if needed although iv been told my multiple people this build will probably only yield 330ish crank HP which is still 100 more than stock so I’m fine with it, but 330 shouldn’t be enough to do too much damage to stock tranny??
Sorry for all the questions but every forum iv been on about this ends up in a discussion of everyone trying to convince them to holly sniper or carb swap and that a cam isn’t worth it on TBI.

Thanks, korbin

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions but every forum iv been on about this ends up in a discussion of everyone trying to convince them to holly sniper or carb swap and that a cam isn’t worth it on TBI.
Well, I'm not one of them. I think it's more fun making TBI work, guess what, it does, just may cost a few $$$ more :biggrin:

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like what you're really after is a broad, flat torque curve. I'd stay under 220 on the duration so you don't get soggy down low, that's sort of going to limit your lift which means you're not taking advantage of the spicy heads and I'm not sure you actually need the forged pistons and rods. Maybe a single pattern cam, rv cam, things that focus on torque from idle to 5500rpm.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AFR heads, forged pistons and rods around 10:1 comp, long tube headers into true duals with high flow cats and magna pack mufflers, stock throttle body bored out, intake bored, 18LB fuel pressure springs, tune.

I want as much power as I can get from a cam with it still being daily driven and off-roaded so huge loping cams are a no as it will be driven in low range 1st gear quite a bit.
I had this one in my 88 5.7L TBI with an 18LB spring running 20 PSI. It has a fairly smooth idle and accelerates fine. I'm running a 2500 Torque Converter too. YMMV
You must be registered for see images attach

Call your favorite cam company and ask them.

UtOBS

Reaction score
Sounds like what you're really after is a broad, flat torque curve. I'd stay under 220 on the duration so you don't get soggy down low, that's sort of going to limit your lift which means you're not taking advantage of the spicy heads and I'm not sure you actually need the forged pistons and rods. Maybe a single pattern cam, rv cam, things that focus on torque from idle to 5500rpm.
Yah, just looking to up compression and if I’m doing pistons I’ll spend the extra and go forged and also get rods.

Yah, I’m shooting for around 330hp. Not sure if it’s possible on vortec heads? Just trying to hit 330 cheapest way possible. And I don’t want to LS swap.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yah, just looking to up compression and if I’m doing pistons I’ll spend the extra and go forged and also get rods.

Yah, I’m shooting for around 330hp. Not sure if it’s possible on vortec heads? Just trying to hit 330 cheapest way possible. And I don’t want to LS swap.
I have made 450 hp with lightly worked on Vortecs, 410 hp with stock Canadian 906s. Just better heads for the money available now and unlike the Vortecs, the good Chinese castings do not crack or fail nearly as easily as Vortecs.