Budget 350 build combo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i regret not going 383 on my "budget build" i did about 5 or years ago. i also regret not doing forged pistons even though i have no plans to turbo charge or even make a ton of power. i think worth it for the detonation protection. blocked the deck so i could run the gm performance .028" head gasket and the quench would come out to about .035". also got eagle rods at the time because they were cheaper than buying ARP bolts and resizing the existing rods. i would suspect this has reversed since covid. definitely seems cheaper to fix what ya got now.. i shouldn't say "cheaper" now, maybe the more PC phrase would be "less expensive" ?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i regret not going 383 on my "budget build" i did about 5 or years ago. i also regret not doing forged pistons even though i have no plans to turbo charge or even make a ton of power. i think worth it for the detonation protection. blocked the deck so i could run the gm performance .028" head gasket and the quench would come out to about .035". also got eagle rods at the time because they were cheaper than buying ARP bolts and resizing the existing rods. i would suspect this has reversed since covid. definitely seems cheaper to fix what ya got now.. i shouldn't say "cheaper" now, maybe the more PC phrase would be "less expensive" ?

Yea faced with the same situation I did build a forged piston on a 6" H-beam rod 383 for the 97 van.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals. I just wanted to share my build combo as it’s an easily repeatable combo that will work well. It should be about 360 HP give or take.

70s 4 bolt main 350 block. Hot tanked, magnifluxed, fully machined and balanced. Bored 60 over, decks squared off, along honed. Stock crank magnifluxed and machined 20/20 for bearings. Eagle rods, TRW forged pistons, vortec heads, vortec style carb intake and a Lunati fiat tappet cam. It works out to 9.4:1 compression and the cam is specced for a turbocharger. Cam specs attached:
This is screaming "I want 383 cubes, AFR Eliminators, and 500+" lol. damn project creep.

*edit* I see later you mentioned afr's. lol Even a dart block needs a thorough going over. Today their import head goes for about what I bought the fully ported/ equalized polished chamber 19 degree ones years ago. Excellent group of guys at the time. Going with 19's was their idea and minimal charge for the milling at the time.

Last edited:

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is screaming "I want 383 cubes, AFR Eliminators, and 500+" lol. damn project creep.

*edit* I see later you mentioned afr's. lol Even a dart block needs a thorough going over. Today their import head goes for about what I bought the fully ported/ equalized polished chamber 19 degree ones years ago. Excellent group of guys at the time. Going with 19's was their idea and minimal charge for the milling at the time.
No need for the extra cubes of the 383 when using boost. If I wanted big HP then sure but I’m only looking for about 500 crank HP on boost.