99 L29 454 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always thought the best timing curve was to run it up against the KS then back off 2deg. Let the engine determine how much timing it wants.
Yes,No?
Not necessarily, some combinations are not octane limited. It is thus possible to advance the timing past the point of losing power without running into knock.

In most cases it is benificial to know the engine family you are tuning well. I know the GMs aside from the GenV well enough to put together a timing map that will extract about 95% of the available power without going to the dyno.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily, some combinations are not octane limited. It is thus possible to advance the timing past the point of losing power without running into knock.

In most cases it is benificial to know the engine family you are tuning well. I know the GMs aside from the GenV well enough to put together a timing map that will extract about 95% of the available power without going to the dyno.
Guess I'm gonna have to get some kind of accelerometer too. The closest dyno shops around here are either an hour east or an hour southeast from here and I'm guessing passes aren't cheap. How does a dyno compared to real world driving?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guess I'm gonna have to get some kind of accelerometer too. The closest dyno shops around here are either an hour east or an hour southeast from here and I'm guessing passes aren't cheap. How does a dyno compared to real world driving?
Depends on the dyno. Inertia dynos can not load the engine the same way an absorber based dyno can.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Absorber based,eddy brake?
Correct, Mustang dyno with an Eddy brake would be one way. The dyno I have run on a lot over the years is an AWD unit. It has multiple rollers and an addy brake. To help keep from overworking the Eddy brake all the rollers turn and the front wheels also get spun up. Similar to the way Hypertech did their development and testing runs. They loaded the vehicle as close as possible to real world as they can.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media