99 L29 454 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I made a few posts on my 454 rebuild and hop-up in the general vortec thread that really should be in a new thread, so here it is..

My 97 K3500 extended cab dually has 230,000 hard miles, so I bought a L29 7.4/454 from a rolled suburban to rebuild and swap in. It allegedly had under 20k miles, and was in storage for about 15 years. I got it complete for $1200. The old engine is still running pretty well except for leaks, smoking, and hard hot-starting, so I can take my time and build the 99 for much better power and mileage. I tore it down and found it was in fact low miles, though probably more like 20-30k. Everything was in great shape except the bearings. Both the rod and mains had strange patchy wear marks like metal particles were trapped under the bearing shells. That wouldn't surprise me - I once took apart a chevy 14 bolt full-float axle and found piles of tapping chips trapped under the carrier bearing caps, which prevented proper bearing preload, which caused ring gear failure. Idiots!

Anyway the block was decked .010 and torque-plate honed, the crank was deburred and ground .010 under, and the rods were resized. The stock pistons are being reused with new rings. I got a .005 oversize ring set and file-fit the rings for .018" on top and .010 in the second. I wanted a Comp camps Xr roller cam, but they are back ordered for months right now. Instead I sent the stock cam to Delta Cams in Washinton for a regrind. They reshaped it for more lift and duration, similar to the XR profile, more advance, and narrowed the lobe separation angle. Regrinding reduced the base circle diameter, but that's ok since it's getting an adjustable valvetrain with roller rockers.

I put the crank and pistons in, and found the pistons are still .015" below deck. That means they were .025 below originally before decking the block. That is stupid. The 'quench zone' is the area between the top of the piston and the flat head surface at TDC. Excess quench space is nothing but bad.

I put the cam in with the stock timing set to see what the new profile looks like. Sharpy marks on the blue tape is showing where opening and closing is happening at .006" and .050" tappet lift, plus the lobe centerlines. .050 duration is now 204 int/206 exh, with lift of .510 int/.520 exh, and lobe separation of 112°. Timing relative to the crank is still 2° retarded, improved from 6° retarded originally. I will correct that to 2° advanced with a new comp cams timing set that hasn't arrived yet. Right now I'm working on the heads, then it's going in with headers and a 0411 computer and new wiring harness. This engine cannot help running much better!

Attachments

• 20210814_162052.jpg
    20210814_162052.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1618.JPG
    IMG_1618.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1624.JPG
    IMG_1624.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 69

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The heads were baked and wheel-abraded at my machine shop. There is plenty of improvement to be had with the grinder! First I set up to measure chamber volume, using 50/50 rubbing alcohol with a little glycerin in it to make the burret valve work smoother. These engines are spec'ed at 9.1 comp with a nominal 106cc head chamber. My chambers measured 99 to 102 cc. Assuming a head gasket thickness of .050", compression right now will be right at 9.1, even after decking the block. So any grinding I do on the chambers will increase volume and reduce comp. I want to keep compression over 9.0, ideally up to 9.5, which probably means cutting the heads decks too.

The 3rd pic shows a bore template on the head. It shows you exactly where the cyl walls are, which is much better than grinding the chambers to match a gasket. I had this made at a laser cutting shop using block dimensions from the Chevy Power catalog. The 4th pic shows the cyl wall scribe markes, then the 5th shows a felpro gasket. The marks are faint, but grinding the chambers back to match the gasket would open the chambers too much.

Attachments

• IMG_1617.JPG
    IMG_1617.JPG
    268.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1627.JPG
    IMG_1627.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1634.JPG
    IMG_1634.JPG
    272.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1635.JPG
    IMG_1635.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1637.JPG
    IMG_1637.JPG
    251.5 KB · Views: 88

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I spent almost 8 hours on one head today. I never did find any tips on porting these L29 heads, specifically what to do with the big 'swirl' lumps clogging up the intakes. So I just ground them out to produce a conventional looking intake runner. I cleaned up the chambers and removed some of the ridge on the bore-side of the exhaust valves. Haven't worked on the exhaust ports yet, but there will be big performance gains to be had there, even for a low rpm truck engine. When both heads are done, I will measure chamber cc again, then adjust as needed to make them all the same. I think I will have about 12 hours into each head, but it will be well worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_1643.JPG
    IMG_1643.JPG
    259.6 KB · Views: 95

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, my machine shop has a flow bench. I wanted to do the flow testing today, but I didn't get the heads finished over the weekend. Chamber vol before ranged from 99 to 102cc. After the first round of grinding, volumes are 103 to 105. I can see where the small chambers still have extra meat, so it should be easy to get them all to 105. Which interestingly is still under the nominal oem volume of 106. I figured it would take 24 hours to do both heads, but it will likely be 40 or more.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did want to test these heads before porting. I will test the heads in the truck now someday, after the new engine is in and leaving dually burnouts.. Also I just recieved David Vizard's book on porting and testing heads, which includes plans to build a simple flow bench with shop vacs. That should be good enough to show relative improvements and help get flow balanced out before going to the $100/hr engine shop.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I will test the heads in the truck now someday, after the new engine is in and leaving dually burnouts..

Please make a video. I did a little burnout on the way to get my tires changed and when I took a pic later it was super weak. Now I have newish tires and refuse to light them up.

Bu327

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your pistons are .015 in the hole, you can run a much thinner head gasket than a .050.