Low budget build without LS Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Will Ferrell

Reaction score
OK so what I've currently got going on is I've got a 97 c1500 with a 350/4l60e 3.73s (May go 4.10 6 lug 14 bolt because I infrequently tow, but when I do it's slightly heavier then the 10 bolt likes) that spun a rod bearing about ehhh 500? miles ago. Getting tired of hearing it beat itself to death so made a ~150 mile round trip with it sunday and picked up some parts from my old storage unit I haven't fully moved yet. I've got a complete 95 TBI (new timing chain and cam) low on compression burning oil, a 98 350/4l80e combo, supposedly all good and then the 97 350 that's fixing to throw a rod. I already know the TBI's were lower on compression from the factory, which got me to thinking, how would a freshened up TBI bottom end handle boost compared to a Vortec bottom end? I'm planning a Mercruiser intake, cam spec'd to whatever CR I land on, and either attempt to tune the blackbox, or go with the express van 411 computer and learn HP tuners or haul it up to a dyno and let them have at it. Wanting to break the reliable 350+ HP range if possible. Also thinking of swapping from the 4l60e to the 4l80 with a stall converter depending on what cam I go to.

It's late, and this post is basically me rambling on about random crap floating around in my head. TLDR, what would yall build on a budget with these parts? Mainly junkyard build here, but will have the machine shop freshen up the heads and check the bore of the block(s)

Last edited:

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the vortec blocks will be machined for roller cams where the tbi block isn't (if its original)

the only "strength" differences would be whether they are 2 or 4 bolt mains, which can possibly be determined by casting #s

Will Ferrell

Reaction score
the vortec blocks will be machined for roller cams where the tbi block isn't (if its original)

the only "strength" differences would be whether they are 2 or 4 bolt mains, which can possibly be determined by casting #s
All of them are 4 bolts and all original

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Install the '98/4L80 combo with the 80 supported computer. Sell the other 350's and 60E and all other parts to fund 14 bolt 8 lug conversion?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some TBI blocks do have the roller cam provisions. If yours does, absolutely go roller cam. Don't bother asking what cam we recommend, you will get a better cam by calling a cam manufacturer.

Unless fuel economy is your biggest concern, seriously consider replacing the heads. That tends to blow it out of the "budget build" realm, but the TBI heads seriously suck. If nothing else, give them a heavy clean-up port job.

Reaction score
OK so what I've currently got going on is I've got a 97 c1500 with a 350/4l60e 3.73s (May go 4.10 6 lug 14 bolt because I infrequently tow, but when I do it's slightly heavier then the 10 bolt likes) that spun a rod bearing about ehhh 500? miles ago. Getting tired of hearing it beat itself to death so made a ~150 mile round trip with it sunday and picked up some parts from my old storage unit I haven't fully moved yet. I've got a complete 95 TBI (new timing chain and cam) low on compression burning oil, a 98 350/4l80e combo, supposedly all good and then the 97 350 that's fixing to throw a rod. I already know the TBI's were lower on compression from the factory, which got me to thinking, how would a freshened up TBI bottom end handle boost compared to a Vortec bottom end? I'm planning a Mercruiser intake, cam spec'd to whatever CR I land on, and either attempt to tune the blackbox, or go with the express van 411 computer and learn HP tuners or haul it up to a dyno and let them have at it. Wanting to break the reliable 350+ HP range if possible. Also thinking of swapping from the 4l60e to the 4l80 with a stall converter depending on what cam I go to.

It's late, and this post is basically me rambling on about random crap floating around in my head. TLDR, what would yall build on a budget with these parts? Mainly junkyard build here, but will have the machine shop freshen up the heads and check the bore of the block(s)
With regards to tuning: just did a search on gmt400 for free/open source tuning software called "PCM Hammer," and did not find anything. There may be free software on the 'net for the black box (search "Dimented24x7" or "PCM Hacking 101" on ThirdGen.org), but the LS computer (aka "411") has free software available; check out pcmhacking.net for details. (If you go the 411 route, don't be careless like I was - make sure to get the 2002 (or older)/P01 PCM, not the 2003 (or newer)/P59 one. (GM stopped making express vans with Gen I Vortecs in '02, so if your PCM needs flashing, it will be easier to do with the P01 unit.) You will also find information on segment swap software at pcmhacking.net for the 4L60-to-4L80 upgrade.

The free/open source tuning programs listed above work with Windows 10 OS, as well as a bunch of Android-based phones (different name - "LS Droid"). Some special cabling is required: I am using OBDX Pro VT - find it at https://obdxpro.com. Currently costs $75.00.

Disclaimer: I do not represent the above-mentioned products or websites, nor do I receive any compensation from them.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With regards to tuning: just did a search on gmt400 for free/open source tuning software called "PCM Hammer," and did not find anything. There may be free software on the 'net for the black box (search "Dimented24x7" or "PCM Hacking 101" on ThirdGen.org), but the LS computer (aka "411") has free software available; check out pcmhacking.net for details. (If you go the 411 route, don't be careless like I was - make sure to get the 2002 (or older)/P01 PCM, not the 2003 (or newer)/P59 one. (GM stopped making express vans with Gen I Vortecs in '02, so if your PCM needs flashing, it will be easier to do with the P01 unit.) You will also find information on segment swap software at pcmhacking.net for the 4L60-to-4L80 upgrade.

The free/open source tuning programs listed above work with Windows 10 OS, as well as a bunch of Android-based phones (different name - "LS Droid"). Some special cabling is required: I am using OBDX Pro VT - find it at https://obdxpro.com. Currently costs $75.00.

Disclaimer: I do not represent the above-mentioned products or websites, nor do I receive any compensation from them.
I am running a L31 based 383 on a 2004 P59 (mines out of a DBC 6.0L van) just fine. Was as simple as an 0411. Express van may have ended in 2002 but the W4 chassis and the GMT800s had the L31 longer and the P59 was used on both with the L31. Mine is setup to run E85 which is why I upgraded to the P59.

Reaction score
I am running a L31 based 383 on a 2004 P59 (mines out of a DBC 6.0L van) just fine. Was as simple as an 0411. Express van may have ended in 2002 but the W4 chassis and the GMT800s had the L31 longer and the P59 was used on both with the L31. Mine is setup to run E85 which is why I upgraded to the P59.
Thanks - I didn't know about that! (Now I just need to find the BIN for that...)

Will Ferrell

Reaction score
Install the '98/4L80 combo with the 80 supported computer. Sell the other 350's and 60E and all other parts to fund 14 bolt 8 lug conversion?
Installed the 98 and sold the 4l80e for double what I paid for the whole setup today. Dropped the engine in, runs much stronger then the old one, the exhaust even has bark to it now, idk how wore out the old engine really was, but this one has a lifter tick and low oil pressure on 10w30. story of my life lol