1997 K1500 power steering hose O ring dimensions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zelda

Reaction score
All, I'm admittedly green behind the ears. Just had installed a new L31 in my 1997 K1500 Z71, first new engine I've ever owned and I'm a geezer. So, she's no show truck but I'm trying to maker her last and refurb the stuff that is going to keep us on the road. Had a shop R&R the engine for me and it was expensive, so from here on out I'm going to DIY as much refurb as I can 'cuz I got nothing akin to "spare" money lying around.
I plan on attempting to replace most of the rubber suspension / steering components on the front end.
When I change out the pitman arm, I know that to gain access I need to remove the steering box which means disconnecting the power steering hoses. So when I reassemble everything, it would be just plain stupid of me NOT to replace the O rings on the p/s hoses. Does anyone know of the specific dimensions of this particular O ring? I'm led to believe that I should choose Viton as the material, I know that these O rings can be pricey for what they are. I'd like to source from Grainger, McMaster-Carr, or Parker so I need the literal dimensions, e.g. Dash #, ID, OD, cross section width (C/S).
Yep, I'm poor as a church mouse and need to keep costs down. I love the truck, as old as she is, and am trying to ensure road worthiness for the next 20 yrs. Probably my last vehicle (what w/ the crazy prices of vehicles these days!).
If I have to I'll bite the bullet and just overpay, but I have so much cost in front of me I'd rather spend the money elsewhere on the vehicle. Trying to determine the dimensions off of an AC Delco part # is not working out.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here are the dimensions from the parts diagram. GM part number on far right.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Zelda

Reaction score
Wow! That was fast! Thank you kindly east302. I knew someone here would pull through for me. What a resource!
This forum has been invaluable to me in gaining knowledge as to parts and how to's. Again, thank you very much!

Zelda

Reaction score
If I did my calculations right, this should translate into an O ring w/ a "dash #" of 903 (-903). Guess this multi-purpose O ring has had a lot of different GM part numbers over the years. Saw another part # for a different model truck that pointed to the same dash # and physical dimensions but my year truck / model didn't show up in the applications list. Grainger has them in a lot of 25 @ 75 durometer in VITON material for $2.48 before shipping. Luckily, I have a Grainger store right around the corner, gotta love that! I can place an order over the web and they'll have it in stock in a few days. Just got to add tax. Grainger item # is 1CRX7
Yeehaw!

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
I had the same problem about two weeks ago when I damaged an o-ring replacing my power steering pump and pressure line.

Just pick up a generic pack of o-rings from the parts store, they come in assorted sizes. Find one that looks the same and use it. No leaks and they're rated for pretty much anything.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If look at or search for O ring size chart you get the ID and the ring diameter ( thickness) of the material. Half inch ID by one eighth material. If you have ID and material dimension . The OD isn't important.
You notice the sizes in the description. If you have metric size given if look at Orings chart find the metric size , look left or right on chart to the same size imperial/ sae.
They didn't invert new orings for metric , they just converted the ATSM dash numbers to metric numbers.
Has GM part number because GM beancounters have to know , how much, where, what, why and because where a big bureaucracy we give things our number not industy standard.

Zelda

Reaction score
Here is the link to those part diagrams. You cannot order from them, but they come in handy.

Well @east302, that's just awesome! Can't say how much that resource is going to help me moving forward. Will be refurbing most of the front end. Having the OEM part #s sure helps to cross reference parts in the aftermarket. I spend hours tracking parts down and piecing together info as to correct parts for model/year and this is going to help a great deal, speed my research up a lot. What a great forum! Thanks for the link!

Zelda

Reaction score
I had the same problem about two weeks ago when I damaged an o-ring replacing my power steering pump and pressure line.

Just pick up a generic pack of o-rings from the parts store, they come in assorted sizes. Find one that looks the same and use it. No leaks and they're rated for pretty much anything.

It's a good idea to have a stash. Will see what my local stores have to offer.

Zelda

Reaction score
If look at or search for O ring size chart you get the ID and the ring diameter ( thickness) of the material. Half inch ID by one eighth material. If you have ID and material dimension . The OD isn't important.
You notice the sizes in the description. If you have metric size given if look at Orings chart find the metric size , look left or right on chart to the same size imperial/ sae.
They didn't invert new orings for metric , they just converted the ATSM dash numbers to metric numbers.
Has GM part number because GM beancounters have to know , how much, where, what, why and because where a big bureaucracy we give things our number not industy standard.
That's kinda what I did. I did not know that ATSM dash numbers were SAE originally. Learn something new everyday! Thanks!