Piston ring install issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oh jeez, lol. I hate to say it but I hope he wasn't hammering the piston in because the con rod bolt was sitting bottomed out on the crank journal preventing it from going in.
Negative. I checked that again and again. The crank journal was nowhere near the conrod.

That, and I had rubber hoses covering the conrod bolts.

You guys think I'm stupid. No. I'm just very impatient.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you can compress the rings into the ring lands on the piston no problem? I noticed you mentioned the ring depth but did you measure the pistons to see what the depth was on the ring land?
Ive always used Hasting Rings for stock rebuilds.
And yes those tapered cone ring compressors are well worth it. Ive been using the ones that have a receiving groove on the bottom that aligns with the bore.

"Rather than relying on the piston skirt to locate the pistons as they're being inserted into the block, Brian Tooley Racing ring compressors have a small, but very important reverse chamfer at the bottom that fits into the chamfer at the top of the block, which serves two functions. First, it locates the ring compressor exactly over the center of the hole. And, secondly, it reduces the chance of the oil ring getting caught between the ring compressor and the top of the block"

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Negative. I checked that again and again. The crank journal was nowhere near the conrod.

That, and I had rubber hoses covering the conrod bolts.

You guys think I'm stupid. No. I'm just very impatient.
no man, but when you get in a hurry and start to ham fist everything, shyt happens. Gotta take time to analyze when it's not going right. Just like the header panel being in a hurry was what gotcha.

Last edited:

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you can compress the rings into the ring lands on the piston no problem? I noticed you mentioned the ring depth but did you measure the pistons to see what the depth was on the ring land?
Ive always used Hasting Rings for stock rebuilds.
And yes those tapered cone ring compressors are well worth it. Ive been using the ones that have a receiving groove on the bottom that aligns with the bore.

"Rather than relying on the piston skirt to locate the pistons as they're being inserted into the block, Brian Tooley Racing ring compressors have a small, but very important reverse chamfer at the bottom that fits into the chamfer at the top of the block, which serves two functions. First, it locates the ring compressor exactly over the center of the hole. And, secondly, it reduces the chance of the oil ring getting caught between the ring compressor and the top of the block"

Measured everything over and over again. The rings I have ARE CORRECT. It has to either be that chamfer on the cylinder or a sh#t ring compressor that's effing me up.

So, I'm going to order 1 new piston and I have to order a full set of rings. I can't just order 1 cylinder worth of rings.. in the brand name that I have. Other brand names I can order just 1 cylinder worth of rings. I don't really want to mix brand names.

As for the compressor you linked to, time to dig a little deeper in my pocket and order that up.

I should be wasting this time and money on my Trans Am. Not the multicolored sh#t stain in my front yard.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just find the right bore size and get you one. I have eaten several set of rings trying to use the crappy type of compressors.
After spending a few hundred on these taperd ones ive been able to assemble engines must faster and no issues.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Measured everything over and over again. The rings I have ARE CORRECT. It has to either be that chamfer on the cylinder or a sh#t ring compressor that's effing me up.

So, I'm going to order 1 new piston and I have to order a full set of rings. I can't just order 1 cylinder worth of rings.. in the brand name that I have. Other brand names I can order just 1 cylinder worth of rings. I don't really want to mix brand names.

As for the compressor you linked to, time to dig a little deeper in my pocket and order that up.

I should be wasting this time and money on my Trans Am. Not the multicolored sh#t stain in my front yard.
Just get one cylinder of whatever. I never had any problems with the cheap ass hastings rings.They'll still seal a cylinder. On a de glaze re-ring job I actually prefer non-faced rings as they seat very quickly.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Brother , something happened somewhere. Maybe you didn't drop a piston on the floor but maybe somebody else did. etc.Without going back through the entire thread, parts hanlding and chain of custody on the parts is important. I had my g/f's son not knowing any better pick up non numbered main caps and put them back down in different places then where I had numbered and placed them on the table. When I bolted the crank down it was locked tight. Several hundred dollars to straighten that mess out. shyt happens, If it doesn't fit forcing it ain't gonna help. Some don't have patience and others don't have patience when it doesn't go their way. Find a way to have some patience. It happens to all of us, walk away and come back later with a fresh head.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always check that the ring sits in its groove slightly low - if that makes sense. Low as when pushed in and no protruding - but inward by a small amount. That check is around the full circumference of each ring.

If there are doubts with a ring compressor, I'll more likely ditch it and manipulate the ring into the bore using my fingernails. A chamfer helps.....

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always check that the ring sits in its groove slightly low - if that makes sense. Low as when pushed in and no protruding - but inward by a small amount. That check is around the full circumference of each ring.

If there are doubts with a ring compressor, I'll more likely ditch it and manipulate the ring into the bore using my fingernails. A chamfer helps.....

Well I used a small screwdriver, but same difference.

FWIW, I did order just one cylinder worth of rings. I'm done caring about mixing brand names.