Oil Analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's there, you just missed it, thanks!

The spare test kits I have are pretty old, but I just checked one and the only extra test they have a check box for is TBN. I know they've updated the test kits since I ordered these, maybe they've changed the forms to include both TBN and TAN? Do yours have both?

EDIT - Just found a link to what I assume is their current sample form. Looks like TBN is the only one on there too.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Gas-Diesel-online-FILLABLE.pdf

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No, I just looked at the link you posted previously :biggrin:

I'm over here tripping out wondering why you got fancy sample forms and I didn't. :lol:

All this stuff is admittedly a bit over my head but I would imagine the reason TAN isn't standard on the forms would have something to do with what you said earlier...

IDK if TAN will apply for our trucks since we change the oil fairly often but, just a thought...

I always pay the extra $10 for the TBN test, even though I'm not sure it's really necessary.

EDIT - Fixed a typo. Letters are hard.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I’m baring my soul again here. Here’s results for transmission:
You must be registered for see images attach

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those interested:
OIL

TRANSMISSION:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I’m baring my soul again here. Here’s results for transmission:
Thanks for posting this. I was wondering what the transmission oil analysis would show...

But I don't know what all this means. Frankly, I don't even know what clutch or band band friction material are made up of...:(

The few transmission fluid changes I've done always have a but of friction material in the pan.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I was wondering what the transmission oil analysis would show...

But I don't know what all this means. Frankly, I don't even know what clutch or band band friction material are made up of...:(

The few transmission fluid changes I've done always have a but of friction material in the pan.
Post #36 gives the breakdown.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had an oil sample story come to mind. My previous job was scheduling aircraft maintenance and fleet-wide everyone was having an uptick in hydraulic failures. Over at the depot, an aircraft failed its hydraulic fluid analysis for silicone contamination. The technician, not being the sharpest knife in the drawer said, "That's not possible, I pulled that sample straight from the hydraulic fluid barrel." - i.e. he pencil whipped the inspection and took five minutes to fill from a fresh fluid barrel instead of taking an hour to go out to the aircraft and take the sample.

As bad as that was, it caused an investigation. They pulled another sample from the barrel, and it failed. They got another barrel from the same lot, and it failed. They got a different barrel from a different manufacturer, and it failed. They checked the equipment, and it checked good. They quickly realized nobody had been testing the hydraulic fluid we'd been receiving from the manufacturers and they were giving us cheap crap that wasn't filtered to the quality specified in the contracts.

At that point we got word that fleet-wide there was a hydraulic fluid contamination problem. Locally, we grounded our fleet and immediately started using hydraulic test stands to filter the fluid on the planes. We only missed a day of flying before we got the first aircraft back up. We then went through thousands of dollars of filters and many more thousands of dollars in labor filtering every aircraft. Meanwhile, leadership essentially told everyone "Eh. We can't get enough new fluid fast enough. The planes are flying okay, just keep flying them." You want to guess who's hydraulic failures went away?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I too have always seen a hint of friction material in the pan. This 4L85E performs flawlessly and for some reason since the 383 swap shifts insanely hard when it shifts at WOT. I did not touch the line pressure or shift settings when I went from the 350 to a 383 but I have tuned shift kit equipped 4L80Es that do not shift nearly as hard as this one does.