Unreliable Cruise Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoreMaker

Reaction score
The cruise control on my 1999 Suburban K1500 gasser has been wonky and unreliable since I bought the vehicle a little over a year ago.

Most of the time, it works fine. But sometimes, when going uphill, it allows the speed to drop way too much (like 10+mph) before the transmission finally kicks down a gear. I can resolve this by gently tapping (not pressing) the go-pedal with my foot, at which point the transmission will finally downshift and the speed will go back to where it's supposed to be, except then it'll be 1-2 mph higher than it was before the uphill and take a few miles to return to normal.

After using cruise control for a while (30+ minutes straight), sometimes it just cuts out and stops working with no error code in the PCM. When this happens, I can re-engage cruise control for a couple seconds before it cuts out again. It doesn't work right until I stop driving for an hour or so, then it's good to go for another extended period of time.

These symptoms lead me to suspect that the servo motor inside the cruise control unit might be on the way out. These are older cruise control units with an electric motor that actuates a second throttle cable. If that servo is failing, it would struggle to move to the correct position when the engine load increases, and it could be overheating after extended use.

Is this a common issue? Is there a way to fix the cruise control unit without replacing it? Maybe some soldering repairs on the control board to ensure the servo is receiving all the current it needs? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new unit? I've got a long road trip coming up next week, and I'd really like cruise control to function reliability.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 97 showed the same symptoms when I bought it. It eventually quit responding entirely about 3 months later.

All my connections check out and it’s receiving the proper signals. I opened it up and applied voltage to the electro magnet and it functioned, the stepper motor stepped with voltage applied.

I reflowed all the solder joints even though everything looked perfect. It still doesn’t work so I’m on the look out for another module.

You must be registered for see images attach

GoreMaker

Reaction score
I wish there were new units available... what's the speed input signal on these units? Is it from the PCM or straight from the speed sensor?

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish there were new units available... what's the speed input signal on these units? Is it from the PCM or straight from the speed sensor?
Pretty sure it comes from the PCM as it’s the sensor on the transmission. If you don’t have an ABS light in and your Speedo works, technically the cruise module should be getting a signal.

Video link

This guy is kind of a ******-bag but he’s got everything lined out and how to test it if you don’t feel like digging through the service manual.

GoreMaker

Reaction score
I'm mostly wondering if I can throw a new Rostra unit on there to replace the old one. The wiring seems to be pretty much compatible, I'm just not sure what kind of VSS signal the module is receiving. 2000ppm? 16000? More? I also have a VSS signal translator here, but I still need to know what to translate it from

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I haven’t searched all of them but this is a list of superseded numbers I found

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm mostly wondering if I can throw a new Rostra unit on there to replace the old one.
Dosent Rostra have an automatic signal converter thing?

I’m not sure what the pulse rate the VSS outputs. I know someone on here does, hopefully they’ll chime in.

GoreMaker

Reaction score
The Rostra can be set to any number of ppm from 2000 to 16000, but I vaguely remember that the 4L60E has a different VSS signal that isn't necessarily square wave. Most of this was learned while retrofitting a cruise control on my 1977 Trans Am, so the knowledge is hazy I just happen to have a Rostra unit sitting here, and I'm tempted to try it out

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have looked in the service manual for any guidance?