Another cruise control issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

Need some advice regarding cruise control. I have a 1999 Suburban. Recently I took it on a long trip and had some long runs with no traffic where I could actually use the cruise. I noticed that it randomly cuts out. Could be going for a half hour, 10 mins, etc, completely random. But eventually, it turns off on it's own. Always I can just get back up to speed and turn it back on again. Otherwise it works fine. My multifunction switch is brand new from a few months ago, and I replaced it with the original GM unit, not those cheap Chinese units on Amazon. I also saw the possibility of the brake switch being an issue. I have never replaced it, not sure if the original owner did or not. But the brake lights seem to work ok. Could it be that the switch is randomly being engaged without brake pedal input? That would of course be the simplest solution. What do you all think? Thanks.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely worth checking-out the brake switch.

Loose wires, poor connections anywhere in the cruise circuit could cause this.

Connect a scan tool, look for misfire counts. If the computer detects misfire, it'll cancel the cruise and the torque converter clutch.